• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Toho the tegu's enclosure

Ambriel

My first ever tegu and my first ever diy enclosure build. I did weeks of research. It was frustrating. I am in no way a carpenter, didn't have any of the needed tools, nor the space to work in. (Its winter up here in Montana and I live right in the middle of town. Wood workshop welcome to my living room!) After reading through dozens and dozens of how to articles, watching hours and hours of youtube videos, getting more and more frustrated at how complicated it all was in these tutorials, I decided to do what I usually do. I winged it, backed by hours of dedicated research I chose a diy tegu enclosure guide and tweaked it to make it my own. The outside is a little wonky and uneven, but the inside is gorgeous and Toho lives is grandeur. So, below are pictures of its freshly set up, along with more pictures followed weeks later when I added more goodies inside.
Tohocage2.jpg
Tohocage.jpg

The top two were taken one day after setup. Below are the more recent pics.

20190125_122841.jpg
20190125_122844.jpg
20190125_122804.jpg
20190125_122815.jpg

I added a top layer of leaves and sphagnum moss. He loves it!

Ambriel

I didn't realize what a difference adding the leaves and moss on top would make, but Toho was obviously delighted with it. He is much more active now and truly seems to enjoy foraging for insects in all the debris. It helps hold in the moisture as well.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think they benefit a great deal by having something to do, like poke around under leave and things, being active foragers.

Ambriel

Thank you so much waters. And Walter1 I totally agree. I think because they are so intelligent, its easy for them to get bored when they aren't out for playtime. Especially since he is from Tegusonly and was wild caught. Makes him feel more at home.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Exactly! Sounds to me that you're doing good by your tegu.

When mine are out for the summer, feeding is mostly like slopping hogs. However. I'll withhold a few mice and set them here and yonder for thwm to find.

Ambriel

Live mice? I thought about purchasing one and setting it loose in the cage to see if he would get it. But I am not sure if he can eat an adult one yet. He is still fairly small. About 24 inches now. His head looks like he might be able to, but then again, maybe not.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No. All frozen/thawed. They're fed communally, at a plate but I'll put a few far from plate so they work a little, tongues aflicking, snouts apoking.

Terrreptiles

Thank you! 8'long x 4'wide x 3' tall
Looks Fantastic ! I hope you foresaw this but. That won't fit through the door... Mine will be 2.5 ft tall so it can be turned sideways and go through the standard size door Might even be very tight if you take the door off the hinges.. Also won't the wood start to mold because of the humidity? Sorry if I'm just being ignorant I will be also taking on a project like this Anyway I hope you get around the issue somehow good luck and hope to hear from you... Greetings!

Waters

The wood is normally treated with a varathane or polyurethane...or multiple coats of latex paint. You are correct.....this wood doesn't appear to be protected though which will cause issues down the road.

nightanole

This is going to be hilarious once they are 3ft long and can really dig :) its going to be like someone took a roto tiller to the place.

Ambriel

I did treat the wood, I may need to empty it and apply a new treatment in 3 years. Though it could very well last longer. I just need to keep an eye on it. I built the cage to be dissembled easily in sections. That is how I got it in the room. And yes I have already received various mean, sarcastic and rude comments about the plants being bulldozed. If anyone were able to see the design, most of the plants are positioned on the small sections of the frame, area's he is already too large to burrow in. I did this in the hopes that there would be less chance of him ripping them out. So far it seems to be working beautifully. His favorite spot to burrow is in the wide open center next to his basking rock. I left the entire back of the cage open, but he doesn't like burrowing near the walls because of the frame. You can't see it, but a two by four board runs the entire length about 4 inches from the walls, and on the sides, he can't comfortably get in there. There is only just enough substrate to cover the board, so I stuck the plants there. And as he grows, if he eventually does away with all the plants, so be it. I like them and wanted the enclosure to be bio active and as real as possible so I chose hardy varieties that can survive the occasional uprooting and re-planting if need be. I hope to be able to get him out and exercise him enough that his enclosure will mostly be for sleeping and his brumation. Either way, I love it and don't mind changes as he grows. I just wish everyone else would have a more relaxed attitude about the plants. I researched and do realize that most people forgo plants because they get ripped up, it was a calculated risk that I took anyway. He is young and small enough that I am hoping the roots will be firmly established and will hold up against him when he is bigger, if not, it was a nice try. I don't mind a tegu being a tegu and I am sure he does appreciate real live plants rather than plastic ones to liven up his living space.

bocacash

5 Year Member
You done good...and with Toho's well being in mind...don't let anybody tell you different ! Sounds like you will be flexible and on top of things as he grows...that is very important ! ENJOY Toho...while he enjoys his home ! Good luck ! :)

Ambriel

You done good...and with Toho's well being in mind...don't let anybody tell you different ! Sounds like you will be flexible and on top of things as he grows...that is very important ! ENJOY Toho...while he enjoys his home ! Good luck ! :)
Thank you! I am already so in love with him and I am thoroughly enjoying being a caretaker to such a wonderful reptile. :- )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602