• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tokay!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are there any Tokay gecko keepers here? I'm thinking about getting one or two and was just curious if someone could give me some care info, and what they are like as captives. Thanks

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm sure you know this already but why not state the obvious; most tokays are known to be aggressive. I've seen vids on YouTube of some tame ones, but I'm sure it takes some time. If I were to get one, I'd probably keep handling out of it all and keep it as a display animal. I do however like this specific video on taming tokays, link will be below. I enjoy watching her videos and maybe this will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIc3y0D5ipM&feature=related

They're by far one of the cooler looking geckos out there, I like how they get pretty big in size and have the capability to hunt down other geckos, one of their food items in the wild.

Well I hope that post helps a little, most of it are just known facts.

Dirtydmc

I have one. Had two but my female croaked. Tropical creature. Easy to care for. Mine allways poops in one spot. As far away from his hide as he can. Makes our lifes easy when we clean. Very mean little bastards they are. Once they bite they don't want to let go. Nam vets called them "**** you lizards". They are not cuddly. They do not like you. They want to kill you.

Nocturnal, some eat pinkys. Not mine. He won't even eat roachs. Dusted crickets is about all he wants. Beautiful though. High humidity around 80 degrees. You need a water fountain or allways have some form of moving water. Most of them won't drink from a dish.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I rarely handle any of my reptiles, so the aggressive/defensive part doesn't bother me. I am hoping if I get some that they will take roaches as I have thousands of dubias.

What size enclosure would I need for a pair? What type of enclosure would be best? Since they are nocturnal, they don't need UVB correct?

Dirty, do you mind posting some pics of yours and the enclosure?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I thought you weren't supposed to handle the geckos with the adhesive pads as that can damage them. I've only ever handled leopard geckos so I honestly don't know. One of my friends was bitten by a tokay; it wouldn't let go for about 45 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi