• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Traumatic Experience

Amy Broxham

Louie's leash and harness arrived today. I was so excited to take him outside in the natural sunlight and let him bask or explore a little. BIG mistake. He FREAKED out as soon as I put him down on the grass. Still holding the leash, I tried to pick him up and he tried to bite me for the first time ever. He then tried to run away. I had no idea he was so fast. He managed to slip out of the harness as I was carefully trying to pull him back toward the front door. He crawled under a corner of the house started to make his way up between the siding and the wall. I had no choice but to grab him by the tail to pull him out. I felt his tail give, as he scratched and bit at me. I saw blood and wrapped him in a towel as fast as I could and put him back in his enclosure. I feel SO FREAKING BAD. What the hell was I thinking?!? His tail is hanging by a thread and he is burrowed in the substrate. I don't dare try to touch him tonight. My heart is broken and I feel like an idiot. I pray he is okay and that he doesn't hate me forever.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm so very sorry for what happened. Sudden outdoor exposure can often result in panic- strange place, wide open, sunny.

That broken tail's got to be cleanly removed and treated.

Do you have a vet you can get to?

Amy Broxham

I'm so very sorry for what happened. Sudden outdoor exposure can often result in panic- strange place, wide open, sunny.

That broken tail's got to be cleanly removed and treated.

Do you have a vet you can get to?
I took him to the vet today. He's all cleaned up and they sent us home with an antibiotic cream. He ate 4 hoppers and half a banana and is now sound asleep. Poor Louie.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alpha did exactly the same and I'm not convinced now any harness would keep him safe of how bat crazy he went trying to escape last year, so a out door light weight enclosure will be the way forward for me.

Sorry to hear you got bit and your gu ended up injured but we all make mistakes, lets just hope things don't take too many steps backwards.

Amy Broxham

Alpha did exactly the same and I'm not convinced now any harness would keep him safe of how bat crazy he went trying to escape last year, so a out door light weight enclosure will be the way forward for me.

Sorry to hear you got bit and your gu ended up injured but we all make mistakes, lets just hope things don't take too many steps backwards.
He is ok now. No more harnesses. I was so unprepared for his reaction. I honestly thought we were gonna play in the grass while I took pictures of his adorable dragon wings. Lol. I didn't get a single picture.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980