• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Trying to make it inviting!

bsshig40

So I've had my red for 7 weeks now. He is still brumating. I dig him out about every 3 days and put a little food out. He will eat a little, get in his water some and then go up and bask for a little while. Then he goes back under until I dig him out again. So today I made him another shelf to climb up on his cool side. I'm hoping with a little change in his enclosure, that he will start coming out and staying out more. When he is out, he's still very defensive. He has ideal temps and humidity. What gets me is he stays buried and the substrate is cool and moist. I would think he would like to be up where its nice and warm. ????? Anyway, here's a couple pics of my change. Too much???? Not enough????

Attachments

• 20200404_153119.jpg
    20200404_153119.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20200404_153024.jpg
    20200404_153024.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 20200404_153454.jpg
    20200404_153454.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 40

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I think he should be where he wants to be, and you shouldn't worry about him. If he's brumating, it's a healthy thing for him - he'll come out when he's ready. How old is he?

bsshig40

Yea he comes out about every 2-3 days and basks for a little. He's still a young one. I'm just letting him be for know. I thought maybe his brumation was getting over but he still stays down a lot so I quit putting a little food out for now until he starts staying out more. Don't want it to spoil inside him. I presume that when brumation is over, that they come out daily?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yea he comes out about every 2-3 days and basks for a little. He's still a young one. I'm just letting him be for know. I thought maybe his brumation was getting over but he still stays down a lot so I quit putting a little food out for now until he starts staying out more. Don't want it to spoil inside him. I presume that when brumation is over, that they come out daily?

Mine do not come out daily, in the longest of days, nor the highest of heat. So - nope! Mine eat, bask, hide...and repeat (generally)
Usually, after mine eat, they are gone in their hides the next day. Bask time varies. Sometimes they're gone for 2 days! When they hear me though, they come to see if I'm bringing them food.

It's hard when you have a little one, they're so fun to handle at that age!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine bask long in spring and fall. In most active months, they're out around 9 am daily for a couple of hours basking and marching around, then down usually to the next day. They eat a few times a week. Rain drives them into hiding.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Mine bask long in spring and fall. In most active months, they're out around 9 am daily for a couple of hours basking and marching around, then down usually to the next day. They eat a few times a week. Rain drives them into hiding.
Must be difference in enclosures, and environments? Mine eat just like yours... a few times/wk

bsshig40

Well now y'all have me wondering. Is he done brumating? Should I start putting food back out for him? I don't want him eating if his system isn't ready for it. Opinions???

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well now y'all have me wondering. Is he done brumating? Should I start putting food back out for him? I don't want him eating if his system isn't ready for it. Opinions???
If he can access his basking lamp and ambient by day is low 80s, with a cooler hide, he can eat safely.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah - I just meant that if he wants to stay in brumation, I think he's happy and not wishing his life was different. As much as you WANT to play - he's just (literally) chillin'!!

I still wish we humans could brumate. Drop a few pounds, clear our minds to the point that we have no idea where we are when we wake up, shed the stress....It's no wonder that sex is one of their first thoughts.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah - I just meant that if he wants to stay in brumation, I think he's happy and not wishing his life was different. As much as you WANT to play - he's just (literally) chillin'!!

I still wish we humans could brumate. Drop a few pounds, clear our minds to the point that we have no idea where we are when we wake up, shed the stress....It's no wonder that sex is one of their first thoughts.
Hmmmm

bsshig40

So I decided to put a small basking light over his new cool side shelf. I have no sunlight in my shop so his only light source is my 30" zoo med florescent light set on a 12hr timer. He still has his cool side hide which is in the mid 70's, on top of the hide is 80's and the basking shelf is about 90's. He seemed to like that. He came out 2 days in a row and now under for a couple of days. Its getting a lot warmer here now so I also took one of the heat emitters out of his hot side and replaced it with a small basking light. It now gives him a more sunny look in the daytime. Plus this will amplify all his uv requirements. Hopefully he will start coming out more. He does like his new cool side shelf though. He stays there for a while and then moves to the hot side. But before he left the cool side shelf, he had to poop on it. Lol Easy to find and clean. Lol

Godzilla Earth

YES I would love to do that I've started puberty so man brumation
would really be helpful now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam