• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

two female argentine black and white tegus

joshandjack

5 Year Member
both very friendly with other tegus, as you can tell in the pictures, they are hadleable. 1 is 2 ft long the other is about 2.5. i am asking $75 each plus shipping or $125 for both plus shipping.

tegus026.jpg

tegus027.jpg

Meg90

5 Year Member
How friendly are they (towards people), and how much to ship one to 54403 (WI)?

Can you take a couple more individual pics of both?

I'm looking for temperament over color, so which ever one is sweeter people-wise.

Are these interacted with alot?

joshandjack

5 Year Member
they are friendly towards people there personalities are pretty similair, they can be a little excited and food agressive in the cage so i am carefull when i first pick them up, sometimes they just assume you have food. but after picked up they mellow our nicely. in my opinion the larger one has nicer color. if you want individual pictures just let me know, if you want to see the larger, or the smaller one.

Meg90

5 Year Member
Oh---they were fed in the cage? I'm doing strict bin feeding with my hatchling to avoid food aggression. hmm. Thinking it over now.

joshandjack

5 Year Member
yeah, looking back i wish i would have done it that way, it can be kind of hard to break a tegu of habits like that. still good lizards though.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
How old is the one with the lighter colored head and the dark nose ? could you please post some more pictures off her.Thanks.Oh, one more thing.Who is the breeder ?

joshandjack

5 Year Member
the larger one with the lighter color head and the darker nose is going on 2.5 to 3 years old i believe. i bought her when she was under a year old ad that was about two years ago now. and im unsure of the breeder actually.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info.Can you please post some more pictures just off her.How long is she ? did she ever hibernate ?

joshandjack

5 Year Member
txrepgirl said:
Thanks for the info.Can you please post some more pictures just off her.How long is she ? did she ever hibernate ?

ive been considering it, but he is my favorite, hes very docile, and inteligent, but money talks, and considering my current situation (unemployement... bills to pay..etc) it might be a good idea. .

joshandjack

5 Year Member
joshandjack said:
txrepgirl said:

yes, she has actually had pretty long periods of hibernation every year. i know some people only do about three months, but mine have had more like 5 or 6 per year, with a couple of weeks intermission, because the weather here in reno stays below 60 for about half the year, and the rest of the year its pretty hot.

Herplings

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Oh---they were fed in the cage? I'm doing strict bin feeding with my hatchling to avoid food aggression. hmm. Thinking it over now.

Humm, that is interesting.

I have had in my life 100s of snakes, monitors, frogs and Herps of all kinds....

I have never had an aggressive animal based on feeding it in it cages. I do not own leather gloves, gentle giants, or snake hooks of any kind what so ever. My wife also handles just as much as I do and she is 5'1 and 112 pounds Lmao. But, then again she has just as much handling experience as I do, so together we make a good team.

In fact, I look at it like this....
You really don't want to do this. Trust me. The premise behind this is that feeding them in a container keeps them from thinking when you go in the cage it's feeding time. So allow me to lay this out for you.....would you rather have the reptile thinking everytime it gets taken out it's getting fed? Or would you rather have it thinking when it's in it's cage it's feeding time? Personally I'd rather have the big reptile thinking it's feeding time in it's cage where it is more of a controlled environment instead of having it in feed mode everytime it's outside the cage.

But, this is just my opinion.

Hey man hit me up <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> we can talked over what you have.

Meg90

5 Year Member
Just watch the first minute of this vid.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJBNbMgcXxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJBNbMgcXxs</a><!-- m -->

This guy lays it straight, he stopped bin feeding and this was the result. (this was also posted like, three days ago)

I would rather not have a large lizard doing that every time I walk by, or reach in the cage. But that's just my opinion.

My girl already only perks up in her bin, and its only been 5 days.

I wish I had the space for more GUs! Good luck with these ladies though, they are beautiful. Its great that they are good with other Tegus as well. Makes me wish I had a yard, so I could do an outside enclosure.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
yeah but once it gets in your lizards head that your coming to the tank, it is going to think here comes food. I would rather not take that risk. It is 10x easier to handle your gu by feeding it in a bin. This way your gu does not automatically associate a human or you coming to the tank as here comes food. If i take my gu to the feeding bin he knows its lunch time. If i take him to the other room he just runs around.

I know people have different opinions on this, and others will chime in. But i completely disagree with you on this. Just go on youtube and you will see these sorta things. cage aggression is a hard thing to over come.
robert

Herplings

5 Year Member
wyattroa said:
yeah but once it gets in your lizards head that your coming to the tank, it is going to think here comes food. I would rather not take that risk. It is 10x easier to handle your gu by feeding it in a bin. This way your gu does not automatically associate a human or you coming to the tank as here comes food. If i take my gu to the feeding bin he knows its lunch time. If i take him to the other room he just runs around.

I know people have different opinions on this, and others will chime in. But i completely disagree with you on this. Just go on youtube and you will see these sorta things. cage aggression is a hard thing to over come.
robert

I understand where you are coming from and I agree that every one is entitled to their opinion. I have just never seen this to be true.
But, maybe others have. I'm not sure why.
We handle our animals a lot and they are handled by people of all ages and experience levels.
Maybe I just have a room of dozens of expeditions. Lol.

joshandjack

5 Year Member
yeah, i dont know why but tegus seem to get a little more food aggresive then other herps. my adult cuban rocks which have always been cage fed will run up to te door when it is opened and wait for food, but they dont leap at you like an excited tegu will.

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Yea my local reptile store used to have a black and white tegu they rescued and it only eats mice. Its so cage aggresive it runs at the glass when you wear white socks and go by. It also has run at the glass with such force the glass broke. The moral from this. Feed them in a different place then its own cage

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thanks for posting another picture of her.Is it a 100% black and white.Does she have some blue in her because she is so light colors and has a dark nose ?

Thanks for posting the video.It was a good one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980