• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Update on Ink

Skeetzy

Just a quick update. Moving in less than two weeks, so haven't been on much. Just learned I'm moving about a week ago, so started trying to bond with him immediately. Up until then he got very tense whenever I went near him, usually disappearing into his hide. After a few days of slowly picking him up, and encouraging him out of the cage with food, he's now pretty tame. He jumps into my hand to get out of the cage, only when he's hungry though. I can handle him almost no problem though, no puffing or running away. Very happy with the progression. My key was feeding outside the cage. Tong feeding inside wasn't working as far as showing him I provide food, and am not food. Well less talk, here's a few pictures. I don't have measurements on him, too excited playing with him whenever he comes out.

The last picture doesn't happen anymore. I allowed it for a little while, since it was helping him shed, and he didn't get stuck. But he's getting a little too big for it, so I keep a cardboard container in between the glass and wood.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369177993578.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369177993578.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 80
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369178004210.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369178004210.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369178012730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369178012730.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 78
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369178021870.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369178021870.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 82

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks really good! Glad to hear his training is coming along nicely too!

Skeetzy

Thanks guys! He's gonna be spending a few hours in an old rabbit cage. The plastic bottom kind with the wire sides. Going to be taping cardboard all around it, and a towel on top. I'll be putting some of the old dirt in it, his favorite tshirt and his hide. Hopefully that will keep him pretty calm. Only moving a few blocks away, but with all the time it's going to take to empty the cage of dirt, move it on the truck, get it in the apartment, get the new dirt and put the dirt in, he's going to have to spend some time in the cage. I'm just hoping all my taming doesn't go out the window from it. But we'll see.

anelk002

5 Year Member
I had to change how I Fed mine also. I used to feed outside of cage when u first got him then work schedule changed and I would put it in the cage before work. He never got very tame and wouldn't let me get near him. I switched to bin feeding about 3 weeks ago and have made amazing progress similar to yours. Doesn't hiss or anything now.

Skeetzy

Inks only hissed once. He sleeps in my tshirts. His hide is too small for him(working on a new one now, cheap ideas?), yet he still dragged all 3 tshirts he has into it, to sleep in them. He was playing ghost as I call it, and I tried helping him out. He hissed at me so I left him be. Only time I've heard him do that. And ever since letting him out for exploring time, he's been an angel. No matter who's around he'll almost always come out to play, and will let whoever pet him as long as they don't move too fast towards him. But that's never a problem, most my friends are afraid to even touch him lol.

Here's some pictures of him playing ghost, and his awesome pattern. His back legs are my favorite part.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369956598902.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369956598902.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 37
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369956607866.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369956607866.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369956614941.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369956614941.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369956633615.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369956633615.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369956640505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369956640505.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 36

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh he looks great! The long white nose is my favorite part! This is the little guy that hid from you for so long and hibernated immediately, right? I'm so glad he's working out well and you are happy. YAY!

Skeetzy

Oh he looks great! The long white nose is my favorite part! This is the little guy that hid from you for so long and hibernated immediately, right? I'm so glad he's working out well and you are happy. YAY!

Yes it is! Didn't see him for almost 7 months. He's honestly perfect. Awesome colors/pattern. I'm not a fan of black noses, nor mostly white tegus. So the mostly white head, then pattern, is more than I could've dreamed of.

He's currently sitting at just 2 feet. He's missing a little tail, but it's already growing back, and fast. Just started him on fuzzies this week too, as well as got my 10 pound order of duck and rabbit from hare-today. I'm hoping he's almost 3 feet after all of that. Also hoping he likes the duck more than the turkey. Though he isn't very picky when it comes to eating.

He moves to the new apartment Sunday. Hoping the short drive and stay in a temporary cage doesn't stress him out too bad. It's only a mile away, but he'll be in the cage for almost a whole day. At least he'll have another 200 pounds of dirt to play with after hahah.

bfb345

Awesome tegu looks just like my chubbs whom also plays "ghost" in my t shirts. He allows me to help him out and then just stares at me like I ruined his fun time lol

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He'she's a cutie! I'm just laughing because we were lamenting having the tiniest little tegus. Now they are growing up! If you get a body shot and don't mind sending it to me, I'd appreciate it. It's just for my own reference, to see how that clutch turned out.

Skeetzy

I'll work on that today for you Laura. Any pictures you want I'll definitely get. I do the same for my beardies breeder, only because I know I'd want the same. Only reason I'll never breed any species. I'd never be able to let any go, unless I got to watch them grow up.

Move went pretty good. Got a lot more dirt in his cage now, and it's so much nicer. Originally the dirt dried out quite a bit during his hibernation, due to my laziness. No matter how many gallons of water I poured in, it never got back to its original dark brown richness. I'm sure he's going to be digging away today.

He wasn't very happy about the rabbit cage. I put an inch or two of dirt, his tshirts, and hides. He tried taking a chunk out my finger when I was zip tieing the door shut. Tossed a sheet over the cage and he just went back to sleep all day. Until the ride to the apartment, where he was tail whipping the whole cage. But as soon as it was time to go back into his cage, he was fine. No hiss or anything when I went to get him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced