• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

update

jwax17

crazy color in him

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    636 KB · Views: 14

boyd1955

Ummm ... That's a black and white tegu ... A beautiful black and white tegu ... Be happy he'll be great to have around ... But don't believe all this hybrid crap

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
boyd1955 said:
Ummm ... That's a black and white tegu ... A beautiful black and white tegu ... Be happy he'll be great to have around ... But don't believe all this hybrid crap

Why do you insist on saying there is no such thing as hybrids? Do you believe there are red and blue tegus?

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Thats a nice NORMAL black and white tegu awsome colors,and theres
definitely hybrid tegus in my opinion.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Boyd, I find your comments hysterical at times. It looks like a real high white black and white, but as teguboy77 stated, I too insist that there are hybrids.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The tegu the OP posted is his All American that he got from Bobby. An All American, once again is 1/2 Extreme Giant, 1/4 red, and 1/4 blue. It is in FACT a hybrid, the name has nothing to do with where it is from, it has to do with the colors.

boyd1955

But James as we all know ... Tegu's are polymorphous ... Just because you mate a blue and a red and a big one, there is NO telling what is going to come out ... It just doesn't work like that because we just don't know their lineage very far back at all ... This is why we are seeing so much nonsense on these boards ... The guy has mated whatever and what has come out is a very normal ( but obviously very attractive ) black and white tegu ... Nothing different to him than any other black and white tegu ... There are no colours in that photograph are there ? ... Or have I got sight problems ( no actually I have got my glasses on ) ... I'm not being awkward ... Like I say ... Lovely tegu ... Black and White
I think I'm going to put some pictures of Boomer up and see what interesting theories we get about what he is :))

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is one problem with what you are saying. We know what the parents of this tegu are, therefore we know it is a hybrid.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
There is one problem with what you are saying. We know what the parents of this tegu are, therefore we know it is a hybrid.
Well if you breed two tegus saying male is larger than normal and a blk/wht/argentine,female red large female,that to me is a hybrid and if both parents are larger tegus then i think they will produce redxblk large offspring or should by genetics of the parents in my opinion,and again i think theres hybrids.

boyd1955

You can call it a hybrid as much as you like ... Its just a plain old black and white tegu ... Its just like all this blue nonsense ... They are mating blues and of course not getting what they were expecting
Vanguard on here put it quite nicely
" Tegus are polymorphic, meaning in tegus they are known for occurring in several forms and there are no set rules as for color or pattern. Normal tegus, red tegus, giant tegus and blue tegus can range from very dark to very light in color, and they can show whites, blacks, grays, yellows, reds, oranges, blues and even greens in the color. These all can also occur in the same clutch within siblings.
So all though, black and white are the primary color in normal Argentines, red, blacks and grays in reds, blue, black and browns in blues, creams, whites, grays and blacks in giants, many other colors may also occur as well. Same is true when it comes to pattern. You might breed two very dark tegus and get some very light ones, or breed very light ones and get dark ones, there are no set colors in tegus, and they can vary a lot from tegu to tegu. "
You can breed what the hell you like and call it a hybrid, but it means nothing
Thats whats so stupid about all this blue business ... People have bred their blues and got black and whites ... They are saying they are blues due to their parentage ... Its rubbish
The gene pool of Argentinian tegus in captivity is so small that basically they are all just black and white or red ... They may have a couple of little bits of other colour in but nothing that interesting ... And some may grow bigger than others ... But that is the same in all creatures anyway

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
boyd1955 said:
You can call it a hybrid as much as you like ... Its just a plain old black and white tegu ... Its just like all this blue nonsense ... They are mating blues and of course not getting what they were expecting
" Tegus are polymorphic, meaning in tegus they are known for occurring in several forms and there are no set rules as for color or pattern. Normal tegus, red tegus, giant tegus and blue tegus can range from very dark to very light in color, and they can show whites, blacks, grays, yellows, reds, oranges, blues and even greens in the color. These all can also occur in the same clutch within siblings.
So all though, black and white are the primary color in normal Argentines, red, blacks and grays in reds, blue, black and browns in blues, creams, whites, grays and blacks in giants, many other colors may also occur as well. Same is true when it comes to pattern. You might breed two very dark tegus and get some very light ones, or breed very light ones and get dark ones, there are no set colors in tegus, and they can vary a lot from tegu to tegu. "
Thats whats so stupid about all this blue business ... People have bred their blues and got black and whites ... They are saying they are blues due to their parentage ... Its rubbish
The gene pool of Argentinian tegus in captivity is so small that basically they are all just black and white or red ... They may have a couple of little bits of other colour in but nothing that interesting ... And some may grow bigger than others ... But that is the same in all creatures anyway

Are you kidding me?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can quote whoever you want but polymorphism pertains to traits within a species. Hybridization is a mix of more than one species, reds and black and whites are two different species therefore this cross creates a hybrid. The debate on blues is a different story and doesn't really matter here since we already have two different species.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
james.w said:
You can quote whoever you want but polymorphism pertains to traits within a species. Hybridization is a mix of more than one species, reds and black and whites are two different species therefore this cross creates a hybrid. The debate on blues is a different story and doesn't really matter here since we already have two different species.

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deac77

5 Year Member
Is a Wolf/Husky not a hybrid? its 2 species or even a Bobcat/House Cat 2 VERY different species or a Horse/Donkey all of wich are 2 species scientifically classified. Reds are a different species than black and white otherwise they'd have the same scientific name correct? so there for it would be a HYBRID

hy·brid? ?/?ha?br?d/ Show Spelled[hahy-brid] Show IPA
noun
1. the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hybrid

HPIZZLE

boyd1955 said:

if you cant grasp the concept of hybrid tegus, then why even look in the crosses forum?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well perhaps u can explain to everyone why since they are all da same why do they each have specific traits that differ, i will agree that tegus are polymorphic and will vary even within the same cluch heck i had a black nose whose clutchmate ended up being high white and vice versa, however certain traits like the burnt nose and tear drops in blues or the head shape and color patterns in giants are distinct to those specific groups

jwax17

so are you suggesting that bobby hill send me a normal black and white tegu or just simple debating wether there are such things as tegu hybrids

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602