• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Uv bulbs

bfb345

I have a exo terra repti glow 2.0 I usually use another brand but I don't know how much this gives off it's bigger than the 10.0 so I assume it's more, but I'm not sure soo haha.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
2.0 are the lowest ouput, then 5.0 then 10.0. You want 10.0. Im also not a fan of exo-terra bulbs. Zoomeds reptisun give off more UV. Basically, dont even waste your money with the 2.0, its not going to give off any usuable uv to them. 10.0 florescent (tube) bulbs are the way to go, or the powersun mercury vapor bulb with heat + uv in one

bfb345

Ok thanks I just found it and had no clue what the output was its way bigger than the 10.0 so I thought it may give off more but thanks

Skeetzy

They say 18", but there's minimal uvb output at that distance. I aim for about 10-12" from the basking spot.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Skeetzy is basically correct. The further from the bulb, the more UVB is absorbed by the atmosphere. Add in that many bulbs "burn out" relatively quickly, and it becomes rather pointless to place fluorescents any more than about 12" from the animal. As for the "bigger" bulb comments, not sure what you're talking about. The length of the bulb has nothing to do with the intensity of the bulb, a larger length bulb will just cover a larger area more effectively. If you are referring to the diameter of the bulbs, which is technically referred to as the "T" value, then actually it appears the T5s are more efficient and have higher output than the T8s, T10s or T12s. That being said, I have a very sneaky suspicion from a few experiences of my own that they not just burn out, but blow out a lot faster than larger diameter bulbs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam