• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ventilation options in a enclosure

Roger

5 Year Member
Hello,
Which ventilation methods do you use for proper ventilation?
I am looking for experiences from keepers that use there methods for years.

rantology

Depends a bit on the location of the enclosure. Assuming it's in a typical house environment with 20-40% RI, you want fairly small vents. I have two 4x8" vent registers on mine and that's more or less it (plus some small holes in the top where cables go in).. I also have two 140mm fans inside the enclosure to circulate internal air, and a smaller 80mm fan on the outside of one of the vents that I can use if needed to draw more outside air in (I use AC Infinity fans you can get them from amazon, they're great).

Basically, you can't go wrong erring on the side of less ventilation to help make sure you can maintain humidity. You can always compensate/ add more air flow via fans if you decide it's needed.

Roger

5 Year Member
Depends a bit on the location of the enclosure. Assuming it's in a typical house environment with 20-40% RI, you want fairly small vents. I have two 4x8" vent registers on mine and that's more or less it (plus some small holes in the top where cables go in).. I also have two 140mm fans inside the enclosure to circulate internal air, and a smaller 80mm fan on the outside of one of the vents that I can use if needed to draw more outside air in (I use AC Infinity fans you can get them from amazon, they're great).

Basically, you can't go wrong erring on the side of less ventilation to help make sure you can maintain humidity. You can always compensate/ add more air flow via fans if you decide it's needed.

Hi, thanks for your reply!
I use ventilation holes in front under the sliding doors and high at the back of the enclosure.
What I have red, is this a good way for ventilation.
The only thing is, when the humidity is high I have a bit misty front doors.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like the humidity is too high if your'e getting condensation. It could ruin your enclosure. So - more ventilation, or turn down your mister.

rantology

it can depend- sometimes it's unavoidable. For instance if you have the AC on in your house and the room temp is ~75 and the inside of the enclosure is 80-85 with very high humidity - that is going to encourage condensation especially on glass and metal. I've had that kind of issue with mine... The answer is fans and circulation. Interior circulation helps a lot (I have the two 140mm fans circulating air inside the enclosure like I mentioned) and a slight stream of exterior air will help too (I use a small fan blowing just the tiniest little constant stream of fresh air in). Also having misters cycle in small spurts more often as opposed to long spurts less often will help too (less moisture for large droplets to condense).

It's definitely something that is different for everyone since enclosures and outside environment factors vary so greatly and will require a bit of trial and error.... eventually you will find a happy place though

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
it can depend- sometimes it's unavoidable. For instance if you have the AC on in your house and the room temp is ~75 and the inside of the enclosure is 80-85 with very high humidity - that is going to encourage condensation especially on glass and metal. I've had that kind of issue with mine... The answer is fans and circulation. Interior circulation helps a lot (I have the two 140mm fans circulating air inside the enclosure like I mentioned) and a slight stream of exterior air will help too (I use a small fan blowing just the tiniest little constant stream of fresh air in). Also having misters cycle in small spurts more often as opposed to long spurts less often will help too (less moisture for large droplets to condense).

It's definitely something that is different for everyone since enclosures and outside environment factors vary so greatly and will require a bit of trial and error.... eventually you will find a happy place though
Totally agree, but I did have a faulty mister that wasn't reading right, so it can be that also. Very hard issues to solve - it takes some dedication that's for sure.

Dylan koch

I domt have fans in mine but I do have fans in the room pointed at enclosures where the vent areas are on one side so clean air goes in on side and makes it out other because of the fans through the room. And even with that some times after misting I'll close the door to enclosures and glass gets fogged up but it's due to changes. Plus room is colder than enclosures.

rantology

Hi, thanks for all the reactions.
@rantology, hoe big is your enclosure? Where are the fans located? On top? How should I see it?

I'll post some pics I took tonight below... its just a hair over 8'x4'x4'. Pardon the lump of dead grass, Darrow (or possibly poor lighting there) managed to kill that one... Again, not saying its the only way to do it by any means but it works for me and I do love the options the fans offer. You could also go further and put them on timers with a smart plug if needed... I just have mine hooked up to the lights power so they shut off at night.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602