• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Very interested in raising a Tegu.

CmoneyAA

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and Tegus altogether. I have a pixie bob cat and am now looking for something to start raising in my 60gallon tank. I stumbled apon the Tegus and I love the look,personality traits, and size that they get. I also like the fact that they are docile but with personality. I plan on creating a nice area for him to grow and dig and mess around.

I am very new to this species and reptiles altogther (never kept on but have always been interested in having one and am great at doing research and caring for animals). I was hoping to get some tips and mayb be directed somewhere where i can find a feeding plan or aquarium set up (I know after a certain time he will need a larger encloser) or maybe any personal experiences that may help me out.

Thank you for reading and thank you for the responses ahead of time!

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site and :) and thanks for coming. There's a lot of need to know info and experienced people here to help.

Most of your basic questions will be answered in the tegu articles section as well as specific forum sections like tegu housing and enclosures. Some have important threads or stickies posted at the top with helpful info as well.

When you have other questions or something you don't understand feel free to ask.

CmoneyAA

I'm not home now but if I remember correctly its like 4 foot by 3 or something. I plan on starting out with 1 baby or hatchling.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
4x3 is equal to three 55gal tanks one in front of the other. That can't be right.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Google says 4' x 1'. That is good for maybe 3 months of a tegus life in my opinion. Put fish in the aquarium and get a proper enclosure if you want a tegu.

CmoneyAA

james.w said:
Google says 4' x 1'. That is good for maybe 3 months of a tegus life in my opinion. Put fish in the aquarium and get a proper enclosure if you want a tegu.

I actually just got home and dug the tank out of storage. It is 4' by 1 1/2' . Like I stated before I know I will need a much bigger set up soon and I do plan on starting out with a hatchling. Will my tank be an alright size for the first 4 or 5 months ? The care sheets Ive seen so far even say a 30 gallon is good to start with. Please correct me if im wrong. :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some tegus are 30"+ in 5 months. If yours grows this fast, the tank will be way too small.

CmoneyAA

Looks like I may just need to get a new tank depnding on growth. The reason I want to use the tank I have now is for a starter for at least 3 months while I save for something bigger.

Thanks for the info James.

Also I plan on having a space set up in the house for him to roam a coiple of hours a day.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I'd get the final house first then the tegu Kirby is just about to hit 7 months old and 36" he grew super fast so his 55gal he started in only lasted a month 14"-36" in the 2.5-3 months I've had him for a idea

CmoneyAA

Thanks for the tips. I didn't want to have to worry about an enclosure until a little while after I got him because ive already had this tank :/ but now Im very interested in the species and may have to shell out the money to do this...

Others, please let me know your opinions on starting a baby or hatchling in my tank and about how long before they get uncomfortable.

Found a tape measurer so I can give an actual acurate measurement and I got 4'x2'x2'on my tank just an fyi

jondancer

That tank is fine , hatchlings are so small. They do grow very fast though, I started mine in a 29 gal tank. It grew fast, 27 inches in just under 5months.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes the tank is fine to start, but can you have a new enclosure as soon as it is needed, possibly within 3-5 months?

CmoneyAA

Yes James I definitely can and that was my plan to start him off for 3 or 4 months and in that time start building a big one for him. Thanks again ! I am excited about this new project.

CmoneyAA

No. It's a 60.

If a 50 gallon long is 48"x18"x13" then how would a 60 gallon not be ? This is the measurement I took but regardless my question was answered so thank you all very much !

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
A 55 gallon is 48" long by 12 inches wide by 18 inches tall. What is the problem here? Too small!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980