• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Very new to world of tegu

Vestathetegu

hello, I am very new to the tegu world. I have an argentin black and white tegu named Vesta. I come here to read around to see if what my tegu is doing is normal. She have a very large handmade enclosure outside (in Florida) so it’s always nice and hot and humid for her. She is a Juvenial I believe. I got her from someone I met at a reptile show and she seems bigger than a hatchling. I held her the day I got her and everything was fine but now I’m having problems with getting her out of her hide box with me around. I know she is getting used to her enclosure and I see her coming out every once in a while to bask and look around. I sit in her enclosure and sing and talk to her but she won’t come out while I’m around. She’s eating regularly and pooping at least once a day so I know she is healthy. I have been told by the guy I bought him from to hold her every day and I have also read never to touch her while she is hiding, so I have just been sitting around her and letting her know I’m around. I have urges to try to hold her but I resist because I know it takes patience for her to get used to me. I am very dedicated to her and getting her comfortable with me, so any suggestions would be very helpful.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long have you had Her?

Sounds like you're making a cracking start and things should start paying off..... I wouldn't be too worried about taking her from her hide box to get her used to you as long as there is no aggression and you've given her a good few week to settle in her new home to familiarize and feel safe.

Vestathetegu

Sounds like you're making a cracking start and things should start paying off..... I wouldn't be too worried about taking her from her hide box to get her used to you as long as there is no aggression and you've given her a good few week to settle in her new home to familiarize and feel safe.
Thank you! Now that days have gone by, we hit a mile stone yesterday where she didn’t run away as soon as she saw me. She stayed still while I opened her enclosure door and slid her bowl in and she watched me as I watched her. I don’t think she is aggressive naturally, but I think on the second day I had her, I lost her trust. I was told to grab her and there was a struggle and she tried to bite and I just felt really guilty afterwards because I felt like I was forcing her to interact and im now taking a different approach by giving her time to warm up. She still won’t eat in front of me, but I am so happy she is at least eating

Vestathetegu

Thank you! Now that days have gone by, we hit a mile stone yesterday where she didn’t run away as soon as she saw me. She stayed still while I opened her enclosure door and slid her bowl in and she watched me as I watched her. I don’t think she is aggressive naturally, but I think on the second day I had her, I lost her trust. I was told to grab her and there was a struggle and she tried to bite and I just felt really guilty afterwards because I felt like I was forcing her to interact and im now taking a different approach by giving her time to warm up. She still won’t eat in front of me, but I am so happy she is at least eating

i didn’t see the top question, I’m sorry. I picked her up for the person who sold her to me on sep. 4th, so I’ve had her exactly a week

Attachments

• 709339E1-7754-4D5F-A039-B8B118692A4E.jpeg
    709339E1-7754-4D5F-A039-B8B118692A4E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced