• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Very skinny rescue Tegu...

SCERR

4CC5FEA0-D3DF-45A0-BE0E-94ECD54E7D6C.jpeg
DD5985B4-F961-4DE5-BCA2-E9B561D55291.jpeg
CD84702D-D859-4222-B5F2-4695C6D98B47.jpeg
Hi everyone! This is my first post to this website and I wanted to share this gals story and ask for advice.
I rescued (I run an exotics rescue) a very skinny black and white argentine Tegu a few days ago and she’s been doing well.
She is around 2 years old, weighs barely over 2 pounds, and is about 28 inches long. Her name is Aphrodite.
She also has severe Metabolic Bone Disease, which I’ve dealt with before. She has two visible deformities, one on her tail and one on her back, but they don’t seem to bother her or cause her pain.
She has a great appetite and is eating well, she really likes grapes, blueberries, and mice. She is also getting critical care as a way to give her more nutrition and supplements.
Any advice on how to get some weight on her? She’s so skinny, you can see all her ribs and her hipbones. But she has a fighting spirit and is the sweetest thing! I’ve included pics of her and her deformities. You can’t really tell how small she is in the photos.

beardeddragon111

This is tough because. she may refuse food because this is the time of year they hibernate. If she's too skinny to make it through hibernation, then this can be a challenge. You'll have to feed her, but constantly wake her up because if she eats then immediately goes to sleep the food won't be digested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rely heavily on frozen/thawed mice. Will help bulk her up. Sounds like she’s in good hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980