• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Vet needed

Dawn Gaffney

Hi, I’ve been looking for a reliable vet in the Nj, Pa area. My daughters golden tegu was ill, we rushed her to Northstar emergency in South Jersey. Needless to say, after spending the night there, she came home looking worse than when we brought her in, spent about $1,300.00 on vet bills, only to have her die the next night.The vet , during my concerned phone call (prior to her passing), seemed to imply she was going to die, but asked me if I wanted to hospitalize her again anyway??? I told her I was tapped on cash, so she said I could get her another antibiotic, and give it to her myself then. If she was in that bad of shape, not sure why they let me take her home, and not give her the antibiotic in the first place. I’ll never go there again. Please help. I have other scaley babies I’d like to get check ups for.

Dawn Gaffney

So sorry - hard to lose a Tegu. Did they say what they thought the prob was?
Thank you, and yes, it’s heartbreaking. They said that she had parasites and must’ve had them when she was born. For some reason, she showed no signs of illness until 4 days before she passed. I got her when she was only 2wks old and she would’ve turned a year June 4th. The pic was taken on April 14th, She past May 8th. That’s how she looked up until 2 days before I rushed her to the vet
D6AD2323-A4AD-4C4D-B0D8-689D1CB80465.png

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very sorry to hear that. Given your experience, I'm not sure I'd accept the vet's diagnosis.So, he suddenly went down hill after nearly a year of good health?

What are your other herps? Were they kept near your tegu?

Dawn Gaffney

I found what the vet said hard to believe, but she said it was common and they rarely show signs til it’s to late??? And btw, thank you, she will be missed for quite some time. She was a super sweet girl, we adored her very much.
My other babies are a year old black and white tegu, a Nile monitor, and an iguana. The blk and white lives in my room where she also lived. She was in a large enclosure on my dresser, and my boy lives under my loft bed and basicity has free roam of my room when I’m home. They had no contact, but I am keeping a close eye on him. That’s why I need a good vet. I want to take them all for a check up.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
She was gorgeous - but if I compare her with my year old female, I think yours looks slightly underweight? My female is a year old or more, and at a good weight but looks chunkier on her legs, and tail. (She's a B/W though)

Agree with Walter1 - almost a year after being born with parasites? Haven't heard of that kind of experience before.
Thanks for the picture.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are all sorts of parasites. Interested to have known which. Well, send them in to a qualified exotic sp. vet. They can check their blood and poop.

Dawn Gaffney

She was gorgeous - but if I compare her with my year old female, I think yours looks slightly underweight? My female is a year old or more, and at a good weight but looks chunkier on her legs, and tail. (She's a B/W though)

Agree with Walter1 - almost a year after being born with parasites? Haven't heard of that kind of experience before.
Thanks for the picture.
Columbian golds are smaller than blk and whites. She was about right for her age. But thank you, I appreciate your comments

Dawn Gaffney

There are all sorts of parasites. Interested to have known which. Well, send them in to a qualified exotic sp. vet. They can check their blood and poop.
If I knew a good, trusted vet, I would ask them. That’s why I gave a shout out, if anyone knew one in my area, to please let me know

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wish you well in finding one. They're worth their weight in gold.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam