• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Want Bearded Dragon(:

Joshjack90

So I have a female beardie and she is about 5 years old and I just got her a HUGE tank. Its a 225 gallon aquarium. Dimensions are 6ft long by 2ft deep and 2.5ft tall. It has all kinds of branches for her to climb on. She went from a 65 gallon to this so she LOVES all the extra room. I am looking to get 1 maybe 2 more beardies in there with her. She is ok around other beardies and is the calmest lizard i own. I am looking for something with orange in it like a sandfire or something. Also maybe a yellow citrus would be cool. Maybe Hypos. I am in Cincinnati Ohio, so let me know if you have anything:) THANKS!!!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try my other forum: beardeddragonforum.com lots of great folks there. Quite a few breeders

adam1120

I think someone was selling a few beardie on here look under the sale fourm he had very dragons for 100 I think goodluck:D

herpgirl2510

They are solitary animals they do not want or need company. They cannot be housed together and most times cannot be out in the same room with eachother.

Joshjack90

herpgirl2510 said:
They are solitary animals they do not want or need company. They cannot be housed together and most times cannot be out in the same room with eachother.

I know they may be considered "solitary," But my beardie doesnt mind being with other beardies. She has loves to interact with another and the tank is big enough that if one gets stressed they have room to go hide somewhere and be away from the other lizard. The tank has 12 square feet of floor space plus multipal hides and TONS of climbing branches. Also i get every one of my lizards out of their cages for an hour or more EVERY DAY! its not like they will be in the cage for days with each other. If all this seems to fail, which I doubt it will, the tank can be seperated into two cages that are 3x2. so i do have a backup plan, but i dont think it will be necessary if i get the right lizard.

herpgirl2510

Does not matter if your beardie does not mind one will be dominant over basking areas and food. The other one will suffer and they can also turn on eac hother very quickly and aggressively. You see so many beardies missing tails, feet because people try to do what you are going to attempt to do. This is like introductory beardie knowledge it is not fair to the animals involved. Please go to bearded dragon.org and get informed of the proper way to keep these great lizards. I have three beardies that get out for hours everyday and my male henry who is about 10 weeks old cannot even have my adult female in sight without getting upset. Also 6x2 is not huge the minimum for one adult is 4x2.

Joshjack90

herpgirl2510 said:
Does not matter if your beardie does not mind one will be dominant over basking areas and food. The other one will suffer and they can also turn on eac hother very quickly and aggressively. You see so many beardies missing tails, feet because people try to do what you are going to attempt to do. This is like introductory beardie knowledge it is not fair to the animals involved. Please go to bearded dragon.org and get informed of the proper way to keep these great lizards. I have three beardies that get out for hours everyday and my male henry who is about 10 weeks old cannot even have my adult female in sight without getting upset. Also 6x2 is not huge the minimum for one adult is 4x2.

I have kept reptiles for years and i know what i am doing. There are multiple places to bask in the cage and i NEVER feed my lizards in their cages. I always get them out and feed them by themselves so they wont ever fight over food... I Have never heard of the MINIMUM for one adult being a 4x2.. That would be being nice to your lizard and giving it more than it needs. Like i said i can always separate the cage but honestly i dont think i will have to.

jerobi2k

I was breeding beardies for close to 8 years my main M/F pair were raised together, the only time they were separated was when I knew she was gravid. they were housed together for 10years with no issue. I do agree this is the unlikely, but it is possible and if you do see signs of aggressive behavior towards one another you can always separate if need be. they had a basking area the size of what my large Tegu has (more than enough room for 2 beardies) and she would always lay on him and I never once saw anything that resembled aggressive behavior. but I always felt I was lucky to have such a pair, I hope you find yourself with the same :D best of luck

Joshjack90

jerobi2k said:
I was breeding beardies for close to 8 years my main M/F pair were raised together, the only time they were separated was when I knew she was gravid. they were housed together for 10years with no issue. I do agree this is the unlikely, but it is possible and if you do see signs of aggressive behavior towards one another you can always separate if need be. they had a basking area the size of what my large Tegu has (more than enough room for 2 beardies) and she would always lay on him and I never once saw anything that resembled aggressive behavior. but I always felt I was lucky to have such a pair, I hope you find yourself with the same :D best of luck

Glad to hear that! I would be keeping 2 females together, so i honestly dont think there will be any problems! She has been with other dragons and loves to lay on them. I know there is the concern there, but i can always separate if need be. THANKS!!!

herpgirl2510

Sorry the odds are against you I don't care how long you have been keeping reptiles. A mating pair that is a different story however the male will continiue to try and mate with the female even when she does not want to. Two females can be atttempted but agian no guarantee. The point is that enclosure is not big enough for two. I have probably had reptiles before you were even born so if you are such an experienced reptile keeper you would know the odds of housing two beardies together is risky. If you cannot afford another enclosure then uyou cannot afford to care for another beardie. Why in the world do you think you see so many beardies with tail nips and toes etc.. missing.

tora

I think you made your point, it's probably best to leave it as is before things get out of hand. They understand the risks, you did what you could. I understand you only want the best for the beardie, but there's only so much you can do.

Joshjack90

herpgirl2510 said:
Sorry the odds are against you I don't care how long you have been keeping reptiles. A mating pair that is a different story however the male will continiue to try and mate with the female even when she does not want to. Two females can be atttempted but agian no guarantee. The point is that enclosure is not big enough for two. I have probably had reptiles before you were even born so if you are such an experienced reptile keeper you would know the odds of housing two beardies together is risky. If you cannot afford another enclosure then uyou cannot afford to care for another beardie. Why in the world do you think you see so many beardies with tail nips and toes etc.. missing.

i can afford another enclosure, but if i dont need one, why waste the money?! its not like im intentionally putting my beardie in harms way cuz thats not what im doing. Im going to put another in there with her and if they get along, great, if not ill separate them?! its not that big of a deal. Yeah they may be solitary in the WILD but in CAPTIVITY they are different animals.

adam1120

True what u said about being.in the wild and captivity but always remember no matter what ever animal NEVER FROGET how to protect its self so be carefull I had a male and.female.together and the male broke the females arms so I separateted them but I now ur a good owner just keep a close eye on them and remember if u even see anything happen when ur around there doin that way more when ur not around goodluck tho:D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You say your beardie likes to lay on other beardies. Do you have any idea what this means?? It is a dominance behavior. This is why they are meant to be kept seperate unless breeding.

Joshjack90

adam1120 said:
True what u said about being.in the wild and captivity but always remember no matter what ever animal NEVER FROGET how to protect its self so be carefull I had a male and.female.together and the male broke the females arms so I separateted them but I now ur a good owner just keep a close eye on them and remember if u even see anything happen when ur around there doin that way more when ur not around goodluck tho:D

THANKS!!! I will keep an eye on them, if anything happens i know its going to be the new one attacking mine. Thanks again though!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam