• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What can I add?

KayleeJ

Okay so today I changed my tegus bedding and it looks so much better but I was wondering if there is anything I could add to it, or even take out of the cage. I am only 17 so I don’t have great skills in building stuff (even though I would love to add in a platform). I’m not sure if what she has is enough or if it’s too much. Any suggestions would be amazing!

Attachments

• C0B52735-63C8-4F7B-B242-0AC8B566DF60.jpeg
    C0B52735-63C8-4F7B-B242-0AC8B566DF60.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 50

Tizzay89

You need to have 3 to 6 inches of substrate on 1 side atleast. Moist ofc. Looks like you used press board as the backing at least. Press board is not at all water resistant it will swell and crumble in high humidity which you should have 70 n up. Could use more plant life. I'm not seeing probe wires for ambient temp for hot n cool side. Humidity gauge if you only gonna use 1 in my opinion should be dead center of cage. Tegu will spent most the time on hot side anyways so more humidity regulation on that side in my opinion is best. The basket on the ceramic heater in my opinion will cause more harm than good. Tegu jumping on that putting a toe through the cage is going to be very bad vs a deep dome ceramic element fixture. I say this because that cage is going to be nearly the same temp as the emitter. Toe getting caught inside at that temp pretty much just say bye to toe. Glass should have a latch of some sort as the tegu will sooner or later figure out how to claw open. Other than that looks good in my opinion

Attachments

• 20190530_223407.jpg
    20190530_223407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

KayleeJ

You need to have 3 to 6 inches of substrate on 1 side atleast. Moist ofc. Looks like you used press board as the backing at least. Press board is not at all water resistant it will swell and crumble in high humidity which you should have 70 n up. Could use more plant life. I'm not seeing probe wires for ambient temp for hot n cool side. Humidity gauge if you only gonna use 1 in my opinion should be dead center of cage. Tegu will spent most the time on hot side anyways so more humidity regulation on that side in my opinion is best. The basket on the ceramic heater in my opinion will cause more harm than good. Tegu jumping on that putting a toe through the cage is going to be very bad vs a deep dome ceramic element fixture. I say this because that cage is going to be nearly the same temp as the emitter. Toe getting caught inside at that temp pretty much just say bye to toe. Glass should have a latch of some sort as the tegu will sooner or later figure out how to claw open. Other than that looks good in my opinion
With her substrate there’s about 4-5 inches, she’s kicked around and she puts most of it in her hide and lays in there. I’m going to get fake plants due to her simply loving to tear everything apart so she would ruin real plants in her second. The humidity is at 83 currently (this was during the night when her heat is turned down) I have the thermometer and humidity probe wires in now, I was removing the old ones (hence them mostly being removed). I’m definitely looking into getting a dome heater but I’m unsure if it’ll hang too low in her viv. You can’t see it in the picture but the glass has a hole in which you put the stopper in it so the glass can’t be moved, if that makes sense haha, Ive put in a picture of it so maybe it’ll make more sense.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Tizzay89

The dome can be hung with plumbers tape. U can find it at home depot or lowes or any plumbing store. It's a thin strip of metal with holes in it 1 large 1 small staggering every 1.4 inch. Since u got all the other than u set. Other than the cage still looks like press board. Is it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi