• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What is this blue spot on my Tegu's head

Blakkdragon

Hello all! This is my first post. But I've still read the forums dozens of times.

So I've been doing research but no one seems to have an answer. But my Tegu that I've had for quite a few months now just developed some kind of blue spots around the eye. He seems to be just as happy as normal, as other have said in similar post. But I can't seem to figure out for sure what caused it. He may be about to shed some, but let me show you the pictures and see if anyone else has heard of this ?
20200315_114604.jpg
20200315_113822.jpg

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
maybe just colour difference with age, slight bruise or something along those lines..... Just keep an eye on it but personally I think something and nothing.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The place I got him from only sells captive breds. And they charge a premium for it >>
I've seen alot of S. Fl. WCs. They're distinctive.Your's is a dead ringer.They're very distinctive. I won't disparage your vendor.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Long pointy snout. Often, reddish hues on belly, and similar dorsal color and pattern as on its nape. Anyway, an odds on favorite.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Looks like a twin to my wild caught female from S. Florida. By the way - that's a good thing. I have two, and I'd go back for more if I had the space.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looks like a twin to my wild caught female from S. Florida. By the way - that's a good thing. I have two, and I'd go back for more if I had the space.
Ditto on all counts!

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
But we still don't know what the blue spots are lol?

Wellllll, I honestly don't see them. If it's really young, it may just grow out of them. Also - I think your instincts are prob right about it being the beginning of a shed. The color of their skin does change, as it just barely starts to break away from their bodies. Looks a little strange and it has fooled me a couple times. Then though, pretty quickly, I realize that it's just a shed.

Blakkdragon

Wellllll, I honestly don't see them. If it's really young, it may just grow out of them. Also - I think your instincts are prob right about it being the beginning of a shed. The color of their skin does change, as it just barely starts to break away from their bodies. Looks a little strange and it has fooled me a couple times. Then though, pretty quickly, I realize that it's just a shed.

Do you see it now? That blueish spot isn't light

Attachments

• 20200318_233453.jpg
    20200318_233453.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yes - I got it this time! (good job!) It doesn't look unhealthy, so that's good. It doesn't look like a shed though either. (just my opinion) It has kind of the appearance of a water stain, like - mixed with ink. Am I seeing it right? It's just a slight discoloration, and really looks like a pale blue blotch. Never seen it here on the forum.

If he's out a lot, he may have just picked up a stain from rubbing up against something. When mine are out, they rub on things all the time and are completely curious about everything. I'd bank on it fading, but if you see it grow or darken, I'd check with a vet. I've never heard anyone discuss or ask about this before.

Could it be as simple as something has accidentally dripped on his noggin?

These guys on this forum have seen most everything! They're super knowledgeable. Keep us posted - I'm curious! :rolleyes::tegu:

Last edited:
Hello all! This is my first post. But I've still read the forums dozens of times.

So I've been doing research but no one seems to have an answer. But my Tegu that I've had for quite a few months now just developed some kind of blue spots around the eye. He seems to be just as happy as normal, as other have said in similar post. But I can't seem to figure out for sure what caused it. He may be about to shed some, but let me show you the pictures and see if anyone else has heard of this ?View attachment 14371 View attachment 14372
Does your tegu housing have anything that can injure him? Mine got the same thing by jumping up to a sharp edge in my room that I thought wouldn't be of her reach, could be the same or a burn mark but i would believe it would be darker if that was the case.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I see it now. Not certain, but looks like liquid under the scales. If so, it's from a bruise. Keep an eye on it.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe one of its ancestors was a blue and its some blue genealogy shinning through ( punt intended) blue spot,long snout etc etc

Tek

I have a 7 year old female who also has some coloration in places along her head. She Is very healthy and the colors (mainly green) have been there her whole life. She was also from a very long established and reputable reptile sales place here in town, they got her as a hatchling and held her for observation for a few months before I picked her up. Waited almost 2 years for them to get a tegu! Anyway, I have always been curious of the coloration but don’t really worry about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam