• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What is Normal Baby Tegu Shedding?

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I just have a few questions about how a baby tegu sheds.

My little guy has started her first shed, and its almost all done except for her hands and feet and the tip of her tail. She spends a lot of time digging and dragging her arms and legs across the ground. She started by dragging her belly on the ground, and that eventually pulled off the shed from her stomach and back. So now she just has these "gloves" that are on her hands and feet and since she digs a lot, her arms are often covered in dirt (maybe its to damp?). Her right hand looks kinda scrunched up, the shed preventing her from spreading her toes (like it you were taking a glove off and stopped halfway).

The humidity in her cage is 85% and often goes up to 95% after I spray it (I spray it 3 times a day). The substrate is a mix of topsoil and play sand, 60/40. Her basking temp is about 105F, and the cool side of the cage is 75F. Her diet is basically calcium dusted crickets.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this is normal for baby tegus? Dragging her arms and legs and tummy across the ground to remove shedding. I kind of thought the shed was supposed to split and pop off, but hers seems to be more peeling off. Is it possible Im keeping the cage to humid? I try to keep the substrate damp but not soggy. I want my little baby to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Last edited:

Mich lady

Young tegus seem like they are constantly shedding.yes its normal for them to drag around, they are trying to get the shed off. Plus I think they get itchy when they are shedding. Just make sure she has good humidity. If she has a stuck shed you can put a crushed up
Super B complex vitamin in her food. It really helps a shed. I've done it for mine

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Young tegus seem like they are constantly shedding.yes its normal for them to drag around, they are trying to get the shed off. Plus I think they get itchy when they are shedding. Just make sure she has good humidity. If she has a stuck shed you can put a crushed up
Super B complex vitamin in her food. It really helps a shed. I've done it for mine
Ok thanks. I do dust her crickets with both a vitamin and calcium dust.

I just got a box of 500 crickets in the mail, and they are kinda big. I ordered 3/4" but these look more like 1.25". Is it safe to feed my baby large crickets?

Mich lady

As long as the crickets aren't any longer than the space between her eyes. Also, dubia roaches are better . They dont smell like crickets do and they have more nutrition. Also, you can feed her pinky mice as well. And ground Turkey.

Mich lady

My tegu is 4 feet long. He has a huge enclosure but I keep the door open all the time and he just comes and goes at will. However, he does spend most of his time basking in the enclosure

Aardbark

5 Year Member
As long as the crickets aren't any longer than the space between her eyes. Also, dubia roaches are better . They dont smell like crickets do and they have more nutrition. Also, you can feed her pinky mice as well. And ground Turkey.
lol well I just fed her this morning, and she still gobbles down the large crickets. They are definitely longer then the space between her eyes. She will grab one and munch on it, squishing it, and then swallow. They are practically bigger then her head.

Sean32817

A supervised bath in warm water helps with sheds - the wife and I do it all the time for her bearded dragons and ball pythons while my Chinese water dragons view their water dish as a swimming pool, so they never have problems - my juvenile B+W hasn't experienced any shed problems but I've got a few rough rocks and a cork log in there and he knows how to use them.

You do want to make sure the shed is successful for the feet and tail tip as I've had anoles and a tokay lose fingers and tails to an improper shed.

DO NOT pull the shed off any reptile like you do with your own skin for a sunburn as that's potentially even worse for the reptile than it is for you.

Warm water baths and maybe a splash of some sort of Shed Ease - research to ensure whatever you purchase is safe for your tegu - should be sufficient.

For the bath, simply pick a container large enough for the lizard and fill it just enough that the lizard can stand and isn't forced to swim. You can put your hand in there and gently splash or pour water over the back and head if that's where the problem is but most lizards know the water is good for their shed and will bath themselves after a few minutes.

Bree10499

My baby b&w had his first or second shed since I got him this morning. I noticed it starting last night, and by this morning he looked like he had a little cape. I misted him and he was able to scrape off the rest of his shed by rubbing against his cork tunnel thing. Within the hour, he was launching himself at me when I gave him his salad (he’s starting to come around & isn’t avoiding being handled!!!).

Attachments

• 889DDD36-2250-49EA-AA57-5E9A6FBABF95.jpeg
    889DDD36-2250-49EA-AA57-5E9A6FBABF95.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12

ToadHallBetty

DO NOT pull the shed off any reptile like you do with your own skin for a sunburn as that's potentially even worse for the reptile than it is for you.
I have to disagree, shed that is loose and comes off easily or stuck shed that has been soaked and can be gently peeled off is fine to remove.

Never peel off shed that doesn't easily come off on lizards. Once a snake has started shedding the old skin is ready to go. I keep moist cocoa fiber available for my Tegus to dig on, it seems to help shedding on the feet and if I see dried skin on the feet or tail, I soak my guys in warmish water and help the stuck shed off with a rubber thumb (like you would us sorting mail).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi