• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When to take to the vet?

SeanM

Hello,

Unfortunately my ~2.5 year old tegu seems to be on "poop strike" and hasn't gone in at least a week, if not more (10 days?). Usually she goes every few days, so I have been watching/waiting. She does seem a bit more bloated than usual today (see picture). Perhaps important is that she is starting the process of shedding.

I trolled the forums for some ideas last week, then checked her basking spot and increased the temp to ~110f (was around 100-105, maybe bulb is getting old), and she has plenty of water available (1 "pool" + 1 smaller water bowl). I did give her a soak/bath last week and she passed a large urate, and has since passed smaller urate twice. She didn't today when I gave her a soak/bath though. In general she is acting fine / normal when she's up, but sleeps a lot (probably typical for this time of year). A few days ago I fed her mango with fish oil, and then two days ago salmon filets in hopes that it might help.

Typically she eats Reptilinks blend for tegus, various fruits (mango, melon, blackberries, etc.), small mice, and small chickens every 2-3 days. I did start reducing her diet a couple months ago since she was starting to look overweight. I'll admit I have been using Reptilinks blend a bit more during COVID so I don't have to go to the store as much for fruit. I haven't found vegetables that she will eat consistently.

Should I give it a couple more days then take her to the vet? Or how long can/should they go?

Thank you for your time,

Sean

Edit: forgot UVB. She has two ballasts of Reptisun 10.0 that I replaced ~1.5 months ago.

Attachments

• 20201103_173435.jpg
    20201103_173435.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Ms Marty

Hello,

Unfortunately my ~2.5 year old tegu seems to be on "poop strike" and hasn't gone in at least a week, if not more (10 days?). Usually she goes every few days, so I have been watching/waiting. She does seem a bit more bloated than usual today (see picture). Perhaps important is that she is starting the process of shedding.

I trolled the forums for some ideas last week, then checked her basking spot and increased the temp to ~110f (was around 100-105, maybe bulb is getting old), and she has plenty of water available (1 "pool" + 1 smaller water bowl). I did give her a soak/bath last week and she passed a large urate, and has since passed smaller urate twice. She didn't today when I gave her a soak/bath though. In general she is acting fine / normal when she's up, but sleeps a lot (probably typical for this time of year). A few days ago I fed her mango with fish oil, and then two days ago salmon filets in hopes that it might help.

Typically she eats Reptilinks blend for tegus, various fruits (mango, melon, blackberries, etc.), small mice, and small chickens every 2-3 days. I did start reducing her diet a couple months ago since she was starting to look overweight. I'll admit I have been using Reptilinks blend a bit more during COVID so I don't have to go to the store as much for fruit. I haven't found vegetables that she will eat consistently.

Should I give it a couple more days then take her to the vet? Or how long can/should they go?

Thank you for your time,

Sean

Edit: forgot UVB. She has two ballasts of Reptisun 10.0 that I replaced ~1.5 months ago.
I agree that getting her out of her enclosure and taking her for a few long walks will help stimulate her bowels. She may be going into Brumation so be very careful not to feed her as much! If she does go into Brumation after eating a meal without pooping, absolutely need to Soak her in warm water to stimulate her bowels within a couple days of eating. Won’t bother her Brumation if you don’t over stimulate her!!
I appreciate the fact that you are striving to give her the care she deserves!

Dylan koch

Before the weather started to change here in arizona 90% of the year I take my tegus outside daily twice a day when work doesnt interfere but been doing a ton of doubles lately.. and weather changed drastically in last week! But ya I take out my blues a ton because they literally will not poop I'm their enclosures unless they absolutely have to and if they do only in their water tub

SeanM

Thanks all, I appreciate the help. She's been awake and eating still. Last year she didn't really brumate much if at all even though I live in Ohio. She was a wild caught Florida tegu, so not sure if that matters. Normally she does poop in her "pool" in her cage.

If she's awake I'll keep getting her out + soaks and feeding her, but not force the issue. If I notice she's becoming significantly less active / sleepy I'll be more selective about offering food. Since I have been working from home I get to spend more time with her, which is nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam