• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Will not eat....

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
It seems my little albino will not eat. Everyday i sit a small plate with scrambled eggs and canned snails in his cage and every eve. when i go to take it out, it seems there in nothing gone from it.

These are the same food items they were feeding on before he/she got shipped to me. I am going to go get some canned crickets and see if he/she eats any of that, o and i have also tried mealworms.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Why canned? Fresh, live insects are much better than old ones packed in a can with lots of preservatives. Try live, the quick movements of the crickets may stimulate him.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
I tried live milworms (spelling?) and nothing and live crickets...i tried, all they do is hide under the substrait and heat pad.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long have you had him? It may be acclimation problem. Also keep in mind that it may have some problems right off the bat due to it being horribly inbred.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If I were you, I would try to get them to eat a little raw yogurt, the kind with no fruit and live bacteria. Some are processed to kill the bacteria, these are not the types you want. Raw yogurt has (friendly yogurt-type bacteria).

Digestive Enzymes, these are facilitators, and they have a different job than dietary enzymes, in that they are present in all living matter and they are necessary for proper digestion. For our pets to obtain proper digestion, they need digestive enzymes which are normally made by the pancreas (digestive enzymes) and are found in yogurt provided the yogurt is not cooked or heated, this process destroys 100% of the enzymes.

probiotics are live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host". In other words, probiotics are live bacteria that are beneficial to health, when eaten an adequate amount. It is important for our large intestine to maintain a healthy count of these "good" bacteria. Quite a few studies found that probiotics may enhance immunity by regulating lymphocytes as well as antibodies.

So IMO, raw yogurt's enzymes can and do help boost the bacteria needed to digest food. This should boost their enzymes enough to get them back to good feeding.

You might need to force feed them a little to get them started, but it is well worth a try.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Force feeding :shock: i hate force feeding, i always feel like i am going to hurt them or establish an un-welcoming relationship.

I got him last tuesday so just about a week now and they said he was feeding just fine on scarmbled eggs, canned snails, and crickets....and he doesnt seem to like my cooking or snails lol.

I will try the yogart thing. Thanks every one!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our baby Tegu wouldn't eat for 2 weeks after we got him. We used a syringe to feed him Tegu Activa yogurt and stage 1 meat baby foods for 2 weeks before he would eat on his own. You can get a syringe (without the needle) from a pharmacy. Activia yogurt has the live bacteria.

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Well, i looked into the room today and saw a big empty looking spot on his plate of scrambled eggs soooo, im hoping he ate some.

I am going tonight to get some live crickets and will they eat the yogart from a plate?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Der-Boa-Lieber said:
will they eat the yogart from a plate?
Ours would lick at it but we had to force feed him. After a few days he seems to like being fed. If it didn't come out fast enough he'd bite the syringe! That showed his appetite was returning. We stopped syringe feed a couple of days later.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Keep us posted, if it does not start eating soon I will contact you and see if we can get it eating good.

dorton

5 Year Member
Maybe try instead of feeding in the cage, using a rubbermaid, or sterlite container to feed crickets in. To be able to determine what, if ant has been eaten.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced