• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Will not eating for a few days harm a hachling?

Tizzay89

Yep. Argentine bnw. Green just got few days living in a 3f tall 5f long 3f wide cage. Coco moist. Pearlite washed added cuz i wanted to.
Bask 108 to 110
Under bask plat sits 100 high 90s
Mid cage bounces high90s to low90s
Cold side rides 80 high70s
Humidity closed cage 70s open cuz my house is dry 50s or lower. I only open to feed.water added water to coco n stir.
Uvb is a cfl desert uvb hung at very top of cage. Dead center.

I have yet to notice it eat. It cuz unsexed.
Offering
Crickets
Chicken hearts,livers
Superworms
Mix of fruits no vegs.. we dont eat vegs often other than canned havent checked if those ok so just fruits. Havent offered eggs yet but did buy a 18 pack just for it today.
Not worried just wondering if it will be fine if it dont eat. I dont bother it it dont bother me kinda relationship atm. I do dig it up every now n then when stiring the coco. Once i find it i just move to dif spot n dont bother it anymore lol. Havent tried picking it up yet.

It does explore during the day for a few hours about 4 hours b4 lights out it goes under the substrate.

Oh i also use a under tank heater. It tends to hide here where it is super warm and moist. This is un temped. I can hold my hand on it no issue so i figure its fine. They suppose to be able to reg their temp so i figure if it gets to hot it will move.

So thats the story. Or just read title n reply lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Takes them a bit to settle in. Typical as long as not getting skinny.

Tizzay89

Takes them a bit to settle in. Typical as long as not getting skinny.

Yes. Few days to weeks. Skinny? It has lose skin but looks pretty fit moves fine fast asf lol lights go on in 10 ill fix it up some eggs chicken liver n blue berries mashed. We c if it eats today

Today i put the food under his basking platform under his fake tree thing. Maybe it will eat if it feels safer? If not day3 no food so no big deal. Today it was up b4 the light though

Night temps where
85 hot
79 cold

Last edited:

Tizzay89

It come out, eat and zip back under.

Yeah. I put some live crickets in last night about 6. Well im not seeing them. Did have to clean its indoor pool it left some white n 2 blackish gifts in it. Guessing it eats crickets but not the fancy stuff. Only issue is i dont dust the crickets since they live. So its not getting its cal n vita powder. Well thanks for advice ill post if i have issues. I went to touch it today nice n slow.. rubbed it a bit after we had a talk about not trying to bite me lol

James Smith

Hey, Congratulations on your new Tegu. I know it is exciting and by you asking good questions sound like you are trying. The thing to do is, not to try too much. First week or two give the Tegu the and essentials, like Basking temp(118-122) Air temp 82-85 degrees/cold side (72-75) plenty of water to drink as well as a bathing pool. Offer food everyday outside the enclosure. Make a way it can come out alone if possible to seek out his or her food. Coach your Tegu back into the enclosure with as little contact as possible and then wash and repeat everyday. Keep close eye on your temps, which is very important. Feeding prey is very important as well. This is not the time to try to have interaction. He or she is going through a very important adjustment period with you and the enclosure. I made the mistake as well in trying to give affection way to early like you but quickly backed off because Walter1 straightened me out lol. You have to fight the urge to show affection. Remember first contact should be your Tegu's not you. The eating will happen all on it's own if your Tegu is healthy.

Tizzay89

I just feed it crickets n head crushed meal worms. Dusted daily weekly vita. 2 large water dishes big enough for soak. Temps perfect and now humidity spot on. Eats from bamboo tongs now no issue.

So yeah we good lol

Gonna stop putting it in a plastic tote at night though. It will let me hold it pet etc but once it reaches a nice hot temp from blanket it wants nothing but out. Can still touch hold etc but as soon as i put it down it tries none stop to get out. Kinda sucks cuz i no if i let it out it will bolt lol

Zyn

I’d advise against leaving live crickets in the enclosure. If he doesn’t eat them a large hungry cricket can and will chew off toes even chew holes into the stomach.

James Smith

It is important to keep your Basking temp up. They use the basking light to help digest their food. 90 to 100 is not hot enough. I keep mine at 122 to 124 and its perfect. If the temp isn't up sometimes they will not eat normally.

Tizzay89

All good guys. Tegu is hand fed daily.

Now the temp

See most say 110 for hatch n juvs
120 130 for adults.
The way im measuring the bask temp is going by hot side temp which probe sits 6 inches from platform. If this reads 97 or even just low 90s under that lamp has to be 15 or even 20 degrees hotter.
Why? Bcz there is a 150watt ceramic heater and a 150watt basking uva bulb pointed at the plat lol

So far it poops everyday same nasty color n solid so thinking i got this :p

Junging from size atm it is probs a juv and a female fyi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam