• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Winter Enclosure

Jorgo

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a general consensus.

After the temperatures got hot enough (70+ days regularly), I let my tegu Amigo free roam my room basically forever. During that time he definitely grew out of his old enclosure, and it strictly a basking/humidity house now, as he enters and leaves it as he wants. Usually when in shed or just wanting them sweet uvbs and extra heat XD. He even has an area where he will regularly go to the bathroom (thank god for pads!)

Anyways, the temperatures around here are going to start getting too cold at night.While I am positive during the day the house will be hot enough (we hate the cold and keep it above 72 during the day), nightimes a different story.

As this will be primarily a winter home for nighttime use, should I go full size 8x4 or would smaller be fine? If so suggestions on size? I was thinking a 6x4 or 6x3 (he likes to curl up when sleeping or basking, even with ample room to stretch out).

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I have my 4ft male in and out of his enclosure and he does pretty well, except a stuck shed on his tail. The smaller size tank isn't going to bother him if he's just there to process food, and sleep. I would def make sure his humidity is bumped up (mine's at 80%), and I continue to increase his fish oil to help with the stuck shed. I think you might end up with my problem if he's out a lot, and not constantly in that humid environment.

Jorgo

I have my 4ft male in and out of his enclosure and he does pretty well, except a stuck shed on his tail. The smaller size tank isn't going to bother him if he's just there to process food, and sleep. I would def make sure his humidity is bumped up (mine's at 80%), and I continue to increase his fish oil to help with the stuck shed. I think you might end up with my problem if he's out a lot, and not constantly in that humid environment.

I haven’t had any problems with shedding too much actually! Not since some minor changes were made. in addition to some fish oil, feeding him actual fish and varied diet has really helped with the shed. I also keep rough items around for him to rub against. I used to check his toes near constantly worried they stuck she’d and than cut off! Only the very top of his tail has posed an occasional problem, but he manages just fine. Honestly I think it’s because his tail is weird. When I bought him it was bent on the end, and he has kept that bent, which is also always where he gets stuck Shed >.>.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced