• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wounds on tail

I noticed these on her tail. She does have some stuck shed and hasn't had a meal in a few months. Any thoughts?
20180119_130440.jpg
20180119_130438.jpg
20180119_130436.jpg
20180119_130435.jpg

mia exotic

Hye .

My Teddy is less then 1 yr of age . Bt he grows beautifully. Wht worries me nw is tht his tail is broken. Ia it bcoz of not enuff of calcium or d watts of lights are not enuff ? M using 13W - Reptile UVB & Intense Basking Spot 50W n m
staying in Malaysia ..

mia exotic

He is a healthy tegu & been a good boy to me ..

Attachments

• A3A951A2-16B3-45CB-AB78-556C9E39AC98.jpeg
    A3A951A2-16B3-45CB-AB78-556C9E39AC98.jpeg
    835.4 KB · Views: 33

dpjm

5 Year Member
so_cal_ninja650 - Those injuries don't look too bad but you should find out why they are there in the first place, especially because there are so many. Could be injuring itself on something repeatedly in the enclosure, could be from build up of unshed skin on the tail causing cracking.

Mia Exotic - no that is not the result of low calcium or UV. Lizards like tegus can break their tails off in response to a stress on their tail. It could be that the tail is mishandled or it could have gotten stuck somewhere in the enclosure. But usually the tail is not left hanging, it should have come off entirely. The broken end piece should be removed by a vet. After that it should heal up fine.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
so_cal_ninja650 - Those injuries don't look too bad but you should find out why they are there in the first place, especially because there are so many. Could be injuring itself on something repeatedly in the enclosure, could be from build up of unshed skin on the tail causing cracking.

Mia Exotic - no that is not the result of low calcium or UV. Lizards like tegus can break their tails off in response to a stress on their tail. It could be that the tail is mishandled or it could have gotten stuck somewhere in the enclosure. But usually the tail is not left hanging, it should have come off entirely. The broken end piece should be removed by a vet. After that it should heal up fine.
Dpjm- any chance that ninja's problem is from too damp conditions?

dpjm

5 Year Member
Walter, I'll have to admit I don't have much experience keeping tegus in really damp conditions, so I can't say for sure. I don't think damp on it's own would cause that but damp and unclean might do it. If the tegu had just hibernated in damp and unclean substrate and had even minor open sores like tail cracks then I think that over a few months it could develop into that. Or bugs in the substrate might have been biting away at small open sores making them a bit more pronounced like that.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter, I'll have to admit I don't have much experience keeping tegus in really damp conditions, so I can't say for sure. I don't think damp on it's own would cause that but damp and unclean might do it. If the tegu had just hibernated in damp and unclean substrate and had even minor open sores like tail cracks then I think that over a few months it could develop into that. Or bugs in the substrate might have been biting away at small open sores making them a bit more pronounced like that.
Thanks. At first glance, had the appearance of blisters one sees on snakes kept cold and wet.

mia exotic

H
Hye .

My Teddy is less then 1 yr of age . Bt he grows beautifully. Wht worries me nw is tht his tail is broken. Ia it bcoz of not enuff of calcium or d watts of lights are not enuff ? M using 13W - Reptile UVB & Intense Basking Spot 50W n m
staying in Malaysia ..

Hye, ok noted . Tq so much for all d infos.. So meaning its best i bring him 2 a Vet rite ? N shoudnt just let it drop it self .

Moody

I would get your guy to a vet.. One that specializes in reptiles.. My tegu had a tiny spot on the end of his tail.. The very tip.. I posted here thinking it could be rot or something. I took him to the vet and she said it was an injury that happened a long time before I got him and it was basically lizard MRSA. She had to put him out and clip the tip off. I had to spray it twice a day for 7 days and give him antibiotics. She cultured it to make sure she gave us the right antibiotics and luckily she had. She didn't charge me for half of what she did.. I think grand total was 68 bucks. But she said think about it they get a wound they drag that tail through everything. He had 3 little purple stitches and have had no problems since.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170507-121752.png
    Screenshot_20170507-121752.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

Gary

Those wounds may not look like much, but they could lead to a very serious infection. Go to a vet sooner rather than later any time you can see flesh not covered by scales.

mia exotic

I would get your guy to a vet.. One that specializes in reptiles.. My tegu had a tiny spot on the end of his tail.. The very tip.. I posted here thinking it could be rot or something. I took him to the vet and she said it was an injury that happened a long time before I got him and it was basically lizard MRSA. She had to put him out and clip the tip off. I had to spray it twice a day for 7 days and give him antibiotics. She cultured it to make sure she gave us the right antibiotics and luckily she had. She didn't charge me for half of what she did.. I think grand total was 68 bucks. But she said think about it they get a wound they drag that tail through everything. He had 3 little purple stitches and have had no problems since.
Ok noted , tq for sharing too

mia exotic

Hye guys ! Tq so so much for ur advices & concern.. I brought Teddy over to d vets & i was so happy tht the Doc told me it was a ' clean drop ' & thr's no infection.. 'owhh ! i was so worried then rite afte reading all of d comments here .. heheh. So i just apply d Silver Sulfa given by d vets .. So nw me n Teddy both happy Thx again guys !!! Nyways he just shed !

Attachments

• 0B14411D-76EB-4E56-A078-F48794A6154E.jpeg
    0B14411D-76EB-4E56-A078-F48794A6154E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 2AA67DF2-5AC6-4E0A-B16D-F67B9005543F.jpeg
    2AA67DF2-5AC6-4E0A-B16D-F67B9005543F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members