• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Year Old BW Tegu Appearance question

klowery10

Hi all,
This would be easier if I had a picture to describe what I am about to discuss, but I am on lunch break and not at home. I had a BW many years ago and have recently gotten a juvenile. He has almost doubled in size in the last 3 months or so and is around a year old. I am concerned about a characteristic he has near where his tail connects to his back. He has a visible groove that extends from his lower back to the top of his tail. The Tegu I had in the past was a female and I don't recall her ever having this groove on her back/tail. This looks nothing like MBD and he is under UVB lighting and gets calcium/vitamin supplements. HIs tail is thick and strong, and I think he is actually a little on the heavy side. The closest description I could find somewhere online was that this was a possible sign of being overweight. I vary what I feed: I feed beef, turkey, salmon, kale, raspberries, eggs, and canned flukers grasshoppers on a varying schedule. I am going to start varying the veggies to more than just kale. If anybody has any ideas that would be appreciated. I will add a pic when I get home. Thank you!

rantology

Has he had the groove since you got him or is it a recent development? Your description makes me think birth defect/ spinal kink. If it's more of an indent where the tail looks like it's sort of ballooned out, then it could be weight/ just muscle or fat that is framing the spine. Picture would help!

klowery10

Has he had the groove since you got him or is it a recent development? Your description makes me think birth defect/ spinal kink. If it's more of an indent where the tail looks like it's sort of ballooned out, then it could be weight/ just muscle or fat that is framing the spine. Picture would help!
Thanks for the reply- he did not have it from birth. It has shown up lately with his growth.

klowery10

Here is a picture

Attachments

• F76DBF9C-713F-41D8-8D08-E3E244676D20.jpeg
    F76DBF9C-713F-41D8-8D08-E3E244676D20.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

klowery10

More pics

Attachments

• 952E874C-F47F-4DE6-BE25-4395AEC6CD87.jpeg
    952E874C-F47F-4DE6-BE25-4395AEC6CD87.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • E4B68074-763D-4C1D-85DA-0FF1D01F726E.jpeg
    E4B68074-763D-4C1D-85DA-0FF1D01F726E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

rantology

Looks pretty normal to me, my guy has a similar structure on his back. Just regular tegu muscle structure - if you're worried about it just keep an eye on it - worst case you can always take him to a vet for a general health checkup but again that looks totally normal IMO

klowery10

Thank you! I'd like to add that it does feel firm and muscular, and I cannot feel his spine or anything. He certainly doesn't mind me messing with it. If it's normal, it's normal. It just wasn't this visible in my past tegu. Thanks again.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Mine doesn't have that particular dip there, but it doesn't look unhealthy. Could be a genetic trait. I agree with Rant - just keep an eye on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam