• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Young tegu down for the count

ccole93

My tegu was born this past year in July I believe and from what I can tell, he's decided to hibernate. I can't say I'm happy about it. He's been totally hidden for two days now, ignoring his UVB and whatnot. I really want to check on him but I don't wanna disturb the cycle. Temps are all normal but should I raise humidity for him? My boyfriend says he came up the day after going down to get a quick drink.

The past few weeks he's been huffing at me when I unbury him so I figured he was getting ready to go down. :/ I'm so nervous about not feeding him for so long... I also read to keep the temps pretty low and not add supplemental heat or they'll burn through their fat reserves too quickly and starve. My room can go down to 50 degrees during the day without heating instruments. Isn't that way too cold?

KABIKANO

Leave the temps alone for awhile, like 2 weeks. Then, if he's still not out and about like how he used to be it may be safe to say he's down for the winter. It's normal for them to surface once in awhile during brumation to bask or drink. Don't dig him up anymore as I've read and agree that you are invading their safe zone. Slowly cut back the temps one hour at most at a time as you notice no signs of surfacing; ie tail tracks or poop in water bowl etc.

My Red Tegu gathered up all the substrate in his enclosure and made a huge mound over and around his hide! Looks like a termite mound or ant hill. And I mean ALL his substrate. He is a 2011 boy. My 2012 Extreme and Blue are showing no signs of going down at all. my Red was the same when he was a pup too. Take care and good luck with your tegu!!!

ccole93

Okay! :D Just wanted to make sure I'm not killing him or anything. He was asleep all day today, too. I'll keep up the temps for a while and see what happens. I want him to wake up.

Diablo

5 Year Member
My guy has been down for a week and he was born in august. I just turned the lights off for good today and I'm leaving them off unless I see him out. They know what to do and if he wants to eat he will come out to eat and wait for you to feed him. They are pretty intelligent and know what they need

ccole93

Thank you! I can turn off all heating implements? What's the coldest it should be? He came up and I sprayed him down with water, which he loved. His colors were really dull.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam