• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Young tegu won’t eat :(

Rodd

Hello! So I recently got a tegu about a month ago. He’s around 2 months old at the moment. He was doing great until the about 4 days ago when his appetite plummeted. About two after the loss of appetite, he ate 3 fully grown crickets but refused to eat any more. This happened a few weeks ago as well. He has pooped twice since then so impaction was ruled out. The tank has a good gradient (hot end 95, and the cooler end ranges between 72-76). I keep the humidity between 60-80%. Any suggestions?

Rodd

The surface of the rock reaches 125 and the ambient is 95-100 depending on the temperature of the house.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The ambient is stressfully high. Lower it to low to mid 80s and provide a hide in the 70s.

Rodd

The 95 is the hot side but I’ll lower it. There is a hide under the rock and I have one in the cooler end in the lower 70s but he doesn’t venture over there much. He usually stays in the middle of the enclosure.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Walter1 is right. Your baby would be fine in the bask spot of no more than 100 (for now). By 6 months old I'd prob adjust to a little warmer, then a little more at a year old. But they have to be able to escape and cool to an ambient of 80-ish, with a hide around 70-75. It's the least fun thing about keeping a Tegu. Once they're adults, the temps are around 115-125 dg in the bask spot. (I've read where some say even warmer than that) But, the other temps stay somewhat the same. It's a bit of a bear until you get used to it. Then there's the UVB/UVA lighting!!!!!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter1 is right. Your baby would be fine in the bask spot of no more than 100 (for now). By 6 months old I'd prob adjust to a little warmer, then a little more at a year old. But they have to be able to escape and cool to an ambient of 80-ish, with a hide around 70-75. It's the least fun thing about keeping a Tegu. Once they're adults, the temps are around 115-125 dg in the bask spot. (I've read where some say even warmer than that) But, the other temps stay somewhat the same. It's a bit of a bear until you get used to it. Then there's the UVB/UVA lighting!!!!!
Thanks, Debita.That could be part of a care sheet.

Rodd

Okay! I do have UVB lighting above his enclosure. Thank you for the info :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You know, the collective experiences here are helpful to the lizards in our charge.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree Walter1 - we only know our own experiences, but collectively, they become a standard and I'd even say a safe bet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam