• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Your Children Always Come Back Home!

onnie0047

1st week in October 2017 my BW Tegu Magawi escaped. We searched everywhere. We tore every room apart and moved every heavy object in the house looking under them and found nothing. For 5 months I found no signs of Magawi. Last couple of weeks I been hearing "bumps" in the night in other parts of the house when the dogs are sleeping in our room, so I know it was not them. I get up find NOTHING. Today I get up, go make myself some breakfast and as I walking by the bathroom I see my BW "Oscar" on the bathroom floor. Oscar is quite tame, but not a free roamer. "Oscar", I bark as I reach down to pick him up. About 1/2 the way down, I noticed, that it was NOT "Oscar", Thats "Magawi". 5 months gone, twice the weight a few inches longer and looking fine and Dandy!

Im glad she is home, unfortunately I no longer have a cage for her and I leave in a week for a 30 day vacation.....Such problems to have I guess......I moved Felix and Oscar in to a smaller enclosure put Magawi in her original enclosure and will work on building a 8x4 when I get home first week of April..
magawi2018.jpg

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What a lizard! Guess brumated in the walls somewhere, seems as though had eaten t some point if bigger though. Congrats on recovery. Is Magawi a female?

onnie0047

Yea, Female. I live in the country so lots of mice running around that get inside the house. I suspect thats is what she has been living on. I also think she has been hiding under the fridge, that is one place I did not look. Her nails are wore down, so she has been moving about.....I've never clipped them. She seems healthy and strong as I remembered because she went into a death role when I picked her up the first time today and I had a heck of a time keeping control. I figure she did not have much to drink in 5 months, so I also gave her a little soak she immediately stuck her head right in the water for a few seconds and lapped away. She has already eaten, chicken and turkey gizzards with a lot of calcium....so thats one hurdle we got over. Now she is basking, Im sure for the first time in 5 months. Now I got to figure just what in the world I am going to do with 3 Tegus!!!???

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yea, Female. I live in the country so lots of mice running around that get inside the house. I suspect thats is what she has been living on. I also think she has been hiding under the fridge, that is one place I did not look. Her nails are wore down, so she has been moving about.....I've never clipped them. She seems healthy and strong as I remembered because she went into a death role when I picked her up the first time today and I had a heck of a time keeping control. I figure she did not have much to drink in 5 months, so I also gave her a little soak she immediately stuck her head right in the water for a few seconds and lapped away. She has already eaten, chicken and turkey gizzards with a lot of calcium....so thats one hurdle we got over. Now she is basking, Im sure for the first time in 5 months. Now I got to figure just what in the world I am going to do with 3 Tegus!!!???
Keep them together and they'll make more!!

onnie0047

ya, just my luck! I already have a zoo here....wife is not really happy today, I just got her settled down on and accepted 2, now we have 3 Tegus! Once I build the 8x4 ill take my 4x3s and convert the two of them into one large ...right now I thinking Magawi is going to be living large in a condo all by herself. I also have 3 dragons....they are no issues at all, the wife has one in the front room she claimed long ago, but she shy's way from the Tegus

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thats an awesome story .... you certainly have your hands full now .....lol....Magawi looks in awesome health

onnie0047

thats an awesome story .... you certainly have your hands full now .....lol....Magawi looks in awesome health

Thanks, Im hoping she remembers the good old times and settles down quickly. Last night I think we made a good start I was holding her for a couple hours while watching TV. She was very calm and fell sound asleep on me....something she never did before. Time will tell for sure....

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes that sounds like a good start ..... Alpha is not settled enough to fall asleep whilst out with me or just free roaming, the only exception is hes just started being more relaxed in the shower and naps....Hes always on guard for a quick get away, not that I'm worried as he does spend longer with me these days .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602