• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Your tegu’s favorite veggie?

Gary

Every new element of my tegu’s diet has been about easing it into the rotation. He didn’t want whole prey when I first got him (breeder fed only turkey mash). Then he didn’t want fruit on it’s own. Now, he eats both like there’s no tomorrow. It was like once I found a fruit that he liked, he was willing to eat fruits that he previously rejected.

So, I’m hoping to find the right veggie. It would be nice to not have to sneak them into other things. Which leaves me with the question... What’s your tegu’s FAVORITE stand-alone veggie? Additionally, has anyone had luck with any greens?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My tegus like strawberries on the odd occasion. Beyond that, I've tried no other fruit or vegetable so don't know. They're otherwise carnivores.

Zyn

I don’t feed fruits or veggies he gets whole prey every other feeding. I’ll try to get him to eat some as he ages

Last edited:

grapebasil

Curious as to how you offer your fruit? Our little dude won’t eat anything that doesn’t squirm and scream when he bites it.

Skeep

5 Year Member
Curious as to how you offer your fruit? Our little dude won’t eat anything that doesn’t squirm and scream when he bites it.

My tegu loves eggs, so if I put egg yolk on the fruits and veggies she will eat it happily. She still has her favorites; for example she will never leave a piece of pineapple behind, and other things she's less keen on.

Gary, I'm not sure how old your tegu is but one thing to keep in mind is that as they grow to adulthood their tastes will change and they will go through phases. Past favorite foods get rejected, new things that they didn't like become favorites, and then it changes again!

Gary

My tegu loves eggs, so if I put egg yolk on the fruits and veggies she will eat it happily. She still has her favorites; for example she will never leave a piece of pineapple behind, and other things she's less keen on.

Gary, I'm not sure how old your tegu is but one thing to keep in mind is that as they grow to adulthood their tastes will change and they will go through phases. Past favorite foods get rejected, new things that they didn't like become favorites, and then it changes again!
We’re coming up to the one year mark. I not worried so much as I like to keep variety in his diet. These suggestions of given me new things to try! He loves just about any fruit, but whole prey days are his favorite (and I doubt that will change). He’ll go back for the fruit 30 minutes later on those days haha.

Can’t wait to try some of these veggies though!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced