• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

2 MONTHS HARD AT IT

smange

We have had our Tegu over two months now and it still wont come near me, I am very patient with it and dont go grabbing it and picking it up I just let it wonder around at its own pace. I lie on the floor sometimes when it is out or sit reading a book on the floor but it still wont come near, is there anything else I can do or is it liable to take months for it to trust me enough.
:(

animalnut

just out of Curiosity how old is your tegu ..cause i have a bit of knowledge on the year old 4 foot ones..and what type of tegu cause it does matter on the type..[/align]

Sirhc401

It depends on the personality of the tegu. We are making good progress with Odin by picking him up and taking him to his food. After awile he no longer struggles when I take him to food but climbs on my arm to go get it. But he could still do better, it is a working progress. He is only 4 months.

kellen.watkins

I've had eli for over two months and he tried ripping my face off the other day, just keep at it they are still small. And just wait til puberty hits lol after puberty they should calm down immensely then you get to try and take them outside which is worse than puberty lol there are lots of obstacles and patience for a greater reward. I know it sucks cause you see these posts of people with little gus that are tame and handlable it makes me jealous too lol

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just be patient. I'm sure its a little frustrating. Some tegus warm up to their owners real fast, others take longer. Rango and Guru have always been "people tegus". Gary was very skittish around people, I always had to move slowly around him. My hybrid still isn't super mellow. He doesn't huff up anymore but he's not nearly as calm as my other two are. I believe hes the oldest of the three.

The patience does pay off. As kellen said, your tegu could calm down quite a bit after puberty.

saided

Dio has never been the kind of tegu that comes towards you, but I think one of the key parts of getting him to be affectionate was putting him in my shirt/pocket/sleeve or bed everyday where it smelled like me, was warm and quiet.

sleeves were definitely his favorite place to be. you should try it. do worry, eventually the clawing doesn't hurt anymore ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu