• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

8 hour days?... Wish i was a tegu....

Steven.

Hey guys. Kush has been doing good so far.. He takes couple bites of his food and then goes to bask.. He doesn't eat much.. But then again I've only had him for couple of day. I've been feeding him in a feeding cage thats outside in the FL sun. I leave him in there for maybe about 3-4 hours to get his heat and natural uvb and then i bring him back to his cage in my room. I've noticed as soon as i put him in his enclosure he goes in his hide and calls it a night. AT 6 PM!!!!..lol.. He's awake around 10 in the morning and then goes to sleep at 6... Is that healthy?... I'm afraid that he's not being as active as he's suppose to be... Maybe i should turn the lights on in the enclosure when i bring him in from outside. This might cause him to think its still day time... I don't know... Maybe 8 hours is a normal hatchling's day... Any help or advise would be appericated... Thank you...

Steven.

Well after reading some threads.. i figured out that most peoples gu's are awake for about 6-8 hours during the day.. And sleep most of the day..

dcman530

If you have only had him for a couple days, I wouldnt be taking him in and out of his cage. He needs time to adjust to him new enviorment and you might be stressing him out at this point. I left mine alone for about a week and he came around after that. The light should always be on in his cage to keep the heat where he needs it, they dont know the diffrence between night and day when they are captive. Goodluck

Ditzee

Tazia does that too! After she eats she goes, basks all sprawled out like a dog on a porch, drinks some water then burrows. Like clock work. For Halloween I'm thinking about being a Tegu just so I can call into work and tell them I can't come in; it was just dinner, now it's nap time.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
For the early months, I think you should feed him in the cage. He needs to get used to his new home. Mine would do the same exact thing. She would eat and then no matter what time of day it was, as soon as she ate, shed go back undergound. But after about 2 months, she stopped doing that, and is haning around above ground a lot more.

kellen.watkins

Mine don't really have a schedule, they are spoiled and do whatever they want :) vanilla only comes out 1-3 hours a day I give her a smaller meal she basks gets some water and calls it a night at usally 1 or 2pm, eli sleeps in til around 10 and is awake in full force til 7ish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu