• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

a few questions

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i was wondering if anyone has done the math in figuring the energy cost of a light bulb vs a heat pad for snakes. i currently have most of my snakes in a rack on some type of tub and a one in a tank with lights. my carpet is in a tank with a light and my other snakes are in tubs. what one would be better for my snakes that i have on the lights the heat pad or light? and what is more cost efficient?

Riplee

5 Year Member
Its depend on how much Watts of bulb or heat pad you r using.
generally, lighting bulb is over 50 watts. but the heat pads are much less.
the energy cost is depend on KWH , 1000watts by using one hour. I dont know how much per KWH of your energy company. Assume its $0.1 per KWH.
That means if you have ten 100Watts lighting bulb, and you turn them on all tegether for one hour, it will cost you $0.1.
U could calculate it by replace the different electrical device Watt value.
Most heat pads have less energy cost than lighting bulb cause they have less watt value.
so if the snake does not require lighting cycle for breeding, I will choose the tube and heat tap/pad for saving energy.
Hope it helps..

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like riplee said it depends on the amount of watts. Heat pads are generally lower wattage and unless you are housing GTPs, ETBs, or ATBs, heat pads will work just fine and generally save energy.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
a just got two amazons. a garden phase and a holloween.i figured since the room i have them in is 80 a heat pad would be enough to keep them warm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029