• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ackies

lotsareps

5 Year Member
can someone shed some light on ackies for me?
i am told everywhere that being a monitor lover, i would love ackies.
how big do they get? can they be tamed? can they be in groups (i see them sold in pairs and trios)?, how big of an enclosure would they need?

lotsareps

5 Year Member
dang... i really shoulda stayed away from any monitor... i'm hooked!
i thought i wouldn't even consider ackies but after reading that caresheet, i want a trio!

i'm wondering though... there are yellow and red ackies. which are more expensive? can they be crossed? is there any other differences other than size?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
dang... i really shoulda stayed away from any monitor... i'm hooked!
i thought i wouldn't even consider ackies but after reading that caresheet, i want a trio!

i'm wondering though... there are yellow and red ackies. which are more expensive? can they be crossed? is there any other differences other than size?
I don't know anything about them other than they look very addicting!!

The manager of a local pet store is going to buy one of our Blue hatchlings for himself. A couple of weeks ago a customer came in with an Ackie and wanted to trade it for another reptile that cost $50. The manager had been looking for an Ackie for months. He took $50 out of his own pocket and bought the reptile the guy wanted and they traded. This guy doesn't smile alot, but he was grinning ear to ear. The only time I've ever seen him smile before is when he was holding our Blue & Red Tegu's. He even had his picture taken with the Red.

dicy

5 Year Member
iv had ackys for a while they r cool litle monitors that get around 2 ft reds and yelows can be crossed (not a smart thing to do but whutever) i personaly like the more aboreal type monitors(maby cuz i started whit timors) but ackys r realy cool to mess around whit they r fairly easy to care for i personaly like the hatchys allot but if u give them like 2 times the room as in anny caresheet youl love them lots of care sheets say 2ft high is ennuf i personaly like to go higher cuz they use evry bit of the viv they live in

dicy

5 Year Member
whell lots of people like purebloods plus why cross anyway ?
pure reds cost more than yelows ore crosses
pure yellows r better looking than crosses so if u cross them all u can do is is screw things up in my eyes
also aussie monitors r not imported so if evryone starts crossing the real stuff whil be gone and probly never comes back

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ackies are awesome monitors, they can be kept in pairs or trios, they get pretty tame, and stay small. They are also fun to watch and are easy to breed.

I also do not like crossing them, they are the only ones that we will be able to get and they are not able to import them any more.

Beasty

5 Year Member
Amen!
Ackies rock! I have a pair myself. If looking to get pure reds you need to really know what you're looking at. It's not about color oddly enough. I have a pair sold to me as reds(v.a.a.) that are apparently yellows(v.a.b.) or crosses at best. Fine looking animals but not true reds like I wanted, unfortunately. I like them just the same but it means $100 difference in what I'll be able to move them for at hatch time. NOT what I was looking for...and I like the true red look more too, now that I know what I'm looking at better. Pricing usually reflects breed. Chances are if it's cheaper, well, it's cheaper. Yellows are usually from $175-$225 and reds are $300-$350 EACH unless of course you get the good discount for buying two or more. So, getting Ackies? Do your research thoroughly! And remember, you can run into a deal sometimes but you usually get what you pay for.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
awesome! thanks for all the help.
i became so interested in them a couple days ago and began wanting them. i don't know if getting multiples would be easier especially if they're babies. maybe i can find someone selling a retired breeder so i can get the feeling of them

i will definitely one day have a few of each color and if breed them, which thanks to all you guys' advice i won't cross

BSM

5 Year Member
i can find someone selling a retired breeder so i can get the feeling of them

i will definitely one day have a few of each color and if breed them

If you want to breed them in the future i would advice you to start off with babies so there is a better chance of them getting along. Also how big of enclosure are you planning on making? For a trio the bigger the cage the better.

iG

5 Year Member
Do you guys know of any reputable breeder for these guys, I would like to get me one of these myself... maybe a pair.

BSM

5 Year Member
i m sending you a pm, I know a few people who breed them

which kind are you looking for red or yellow.

pistolpete

5 Year Member
my brother picked up his yellow ackie from switzer reptiles. He picked it up from them and is very healthy. hes had it for around 5 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu