• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

acquired tegu

Shannon's Lizzards

[/size]Hello I am new on these forums. My husband set up account, want to start out by saying I can spell lizard correctly. LOL. So anyway I work at an Emergency/ Specialty Animal Hospital in Tampa, FL. I own or have owned, fixed, multiple species of lizards, snakes, turtles you name it. Well I recently acquired a 2.5 year old Columbian Tegu. He was hypocalcemic, legs flippered back for days prior to coming into our facility. He weighed 360grams. Seems small for his age? Thoughts? We gave injectable calcuim for days with only slight improvement. Radiographs were obtained looking for pathological fractures. Non seen. Not to say they weren't there. We splinted him for a week, poor thing he was pissed,will post pic of splint. and I was tube feeding with oral calcuim and Carnivore Care. The good news is he is using his legs now, no tremors. YEA!!! I have him in a 20 gallon tank with a Power Sun, not ideal tank size, I know. My plan is to build an outdoor enclosure. I have seen ideas on this site, just minor changes to suit my needs. My main question is DIET. I see so many of these Tegus with MBD, heart failure, and fatty liver due to diet. Found some studies of Tegu diets in the wild. Frogs were a large percentage, anybody know what kind or where I can purchase. Also I know roaches are good, but not to pull the girl card I HATE them. I also saw snails in the study and queen palms that grow in Florida everywhere. So how do I feed him without the prey escaping, and how do I transition him to a better diet, all he will eat is canned cat food. Any sites, information or personal feedback will be greatly appreciated. I named him Edwin and plan to keep him. Just want him healthy.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
From wat im learning whole meats with bones, whole prey such as frozen mice quail rabbit, fruits, u can go on haretoday.com to order in buld also make sure basking temp is 100-110 and ambient temp are 75 (cool)-85 (hot), keep humidity at 60% or higher hope I helped

from Samsung Galaxy S3

TeguBlake

chitodadon said:
From wat im learning whole meats with bones, whole prey such as frozen mice quail rabbit, fruits, u can go on haretoday.com to order in buld also make sure basking temp is 100-110 and ambient temp are 75 (cool)-85 (hot), keep humidity at 60% or higher hope I helped

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Keep from feeding in encloser other then that, he summed it up!

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
I feed in enclosure because the days im gone I out food in before he gets up im trying to stop feeding in enclosure

from Samsung Galaxy S3

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The biggest mice/rats he can take or just cut them up, Dubia roaches, stop feeding anything that doesn't have bones. The haretoday food seems to be good, just make sure to get the ground whole animal, bones, organs, etc. Feeding in the enclosure is fine.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Ooooo....eavesdropping here. :/ before niles went into hibernation, I had been feeding ground turkey, beef liver, calcium powder and cod liver oil 'meatballs'. Is this a bad diet for him? I tried to give him a thawed mouse before...no interest. I also gave him crickets, which he chased and ate. He has also nibbled blueberries before.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicole_61955