• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Agama international

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
I know, this may sound ridiuclus. Bert Langwerf is a world renowned tegu breeder and has written many books on tegus. I would just like to know if he is ok to buy from. He doesn't send out pictures of the animal you are buying unless it's one of his more rare animals he breeds. Has anyone bought from him and his he legit? Thanks :!:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.agamainternational.com">www.agamainternational.com</a><!-- w -->

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
akward_silence91 said:
I know, this may sound ridiuclus. Bert Langwerf is a world renowned tegu breeder and has written many books on tegus. I would just like to know if he is ok to buy from. He doesn't send out pictures of the animal you are buying unless it's one of his more rare animals he breeds. Has anyone bought from him and his he legit? Thanks :!:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.agamainternational.com">www.agamainternational.com</a><!-- w -->

Bert is one of my best friends, and have dealt with him many times over the years, he is one of the best.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard he's more of a Tegu farmer, breeding many thousands of them every year. I don't think you get to pick and choose.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I've heard he's more of a Tegu farmer, breeding many thousands of them every year. I don't think you get to pick and choose.

Bobby would know better.

Your right Dave, he has many animals. However, I do the same thing, I donÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t let people pick and choose. I have 91 giants and will have 488 normals and 39 reds, if I let people pick them out, do you know how hard it would be to find that exact animal when it came time to ship?

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Its just seeing his dvd he advertises on his website made me leery on purchasing anything from him.

Dumpster diving for tegu food? Are you serious?

Cutting up frozen chickens to feed to tegus, kind of sick.

And old produce thats rotting and being fed to his animals is gross.

AB^

5 Year Member
akward_silence91 said:

I will never do business with bert again. I know many people have had good business relationships with him, but I found him to be quite the disagreeable person when a lizard (jeweled Lacerta) he sent me was notably ill. I told him about it the day after it arrived. He said "well you said it arrived fine so there's nothing I can do" Bad Business in my book!

Nero

5 Year Member
I had the same thing that happened to me with my bearded dragon. It died within 2 weeks and I had a 90 day warranty on it and still got nothing for it.

angelrose

5 Year Member
the dvd made me sick and feel bad for those tegus. but for me it came down to one single conversation and it was a turn off.

AB^

5 Year Member
I had never even thought to talk to bert about how we would handle such a situation as he's a big name dealer and I had read his articles since I was a kid, I thought he would take care of any situation that may arise, i was really really wrong, and lost pretty much all respect for the man after my deal.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
No one has mentioned he has been fighting liver cancer for several years. Yes he is disagree able. Yes he is somewhat hard to deal with . If you were dieing and trying to finish your life's work . You might be too. So cut the dude some slack. He has done more for the reptile world than most of you EVER will. Your whining over something that is petty if you ask me. Bert is a great man . That has more sense than any of you talking bad about him. He does things no one else can. He does it his way . It works and no one else can do it. Bert is one of the true greats of this industry and should be treated as such.

AB^

5 Year Member
Harvey, this person asked about dealing with him.
So I had my say about my dealings with him. It's not whining, I didnt just come up out of the blue with this. Frankly after my personal situation with him, I had talked to many other people who's deals didnt go so well. It has nothing to do with what he has accomplished in the "industry" but with business practices. As for his disease, yes that sucks and it a terrible thing BUT you shouldnt let your personal matters interfere with business one's, it's very unproffesional.

akward_silence91 said:

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Any time you ship a reptile complications can arise. It's a gamble. Stating your experience and continuing to down grade and knock his practices is down right abusive. During the time of your incident he was undergoing chemo. You should have been more patient with him and you might have been taken care of better. No one could keep up with him in a day . Walking in his shoes. He has done it with a heavy burden and you just make it worse. You need to step back and take a look at yourself as far as I'm concerned. His success is proof enough that his practices that some of you knock work. Bert is a friend of mine. I will not set idle while you or anyone else bashes him.

AB^

5 Year Member
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion as am I.
I simply wouldnt do business with him again, and would advise other people to not do business with him either, that is my stance on the subject. At this point we have both had our say, so maybe someone else would like to contribute something to this thread???

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Just to set the record . I would take up for you if you were in the same situation. I'm not saying . I don't like you as a person AB. I respect you and all the other members. I would do the same for any of the members. I'm for the group as a whole. I might say what I want , but I be damned if anyone one else will. I'm strange like that. I stand behind my friends. I would stand behind you also. Just wanted you to know that. I've said my peace. I'm proud to be on this site with you and the others.

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info. It's hard to tell though which way to go. Most people say he is not to deal with. I have had some arguments with him over email. He didn't like it when i asked if he could take a picture of his recent hatchling tegus eating because he doesn't have the time because he is fighting liver cancer, which is strange because if he has the time to dumpster dive, cut up chickens and for that matter, take care of a whole farm of tegus and battle cancer, i think he shouldn't even be worrying about tegus at this point. However, he is selling tegus (with shipping) for only $100 which i beleive is an amazing deal (message me if you know of a better one some where else). I'm still not sure anymore. To buy or not to buy.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
If not Bert. Then I say buy from Bobby. That way your completely covered. Bobby has by far the better guarantee than anyone else. With Bob you may pay a little more. But how much is piece of mind worth.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I have been emailing Bert today. He is very sick. I ask each of you to pray for Bert. Whether you like him or not. Please just take a second to do so. I just got this info . He wouldn't agree with me doing this. I alone feel this is necessary . Thank You

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980