• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Always trying to escape

Jolene

Hello!! I am new to Tegu Talks! I have a 3yo B&W tegu named Ottis that I love. He is very chill about being pet, picked up not so much - does his crocodile rolling - but my concern here is this... I built him a 10fx 3f enclosure... He has a huge plastic tote filled with sand and peat moss mix to dig in, a waterfall to drink from, rocks and sticks to climb, an elevated platform on his heated side with a temp of 110 and his UVB bulb, and CAN go under that where it's a little warmer. However, on the warm side it is metal mesh so the heat lamp and UVB can go through... he is constantly bashing his face into it! Jumping like crazy. He gets LOTS of time out of his cage, wandering the entire house... but as soon as I put him back, he just wants back out... I wait to put him back until he has wandered all over and settled under a nightstand or dresser or something... thinking that means he's tuckered out... but nope... goes back in and just starts jumping like crazy. I'm concerned because my dogs will kill him and I can't leave them locked up all the time either... :( He jumps so much he has actually cut open his poor nose. I'm wondering if I put paper or plastic, something solid, over it if he would stop you think?

Also, he LOVES his live mice, but never wants to eat ANY greens or fruit... he'll eat hard boiled eggs and raw egg too, but never seems to want fruits and veggies. Any suggestions? (I've tried all kinds of berries, bananas, dandelion greens, collard greens, peppers, prickly pear fruit, and more)
809e6be0-8a2c-4eda-8fdd-b220122f961c.jpg
dc4ad646-f94d-431f-a02c-96bf97da9263.jpg
1d75c89e-642f-4bc3-a2cd-ffa2f33f0fe4.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980