• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Any advice

poon3284

Hey guys. So I built an enclosure for my tegu kang. It's 5×2×3 I know it should have been at least 6 feet but I didn't have the room. I put eucalyptus mulch in it. And I cut two holds at the top of it. One for the lamp. Being the lamp is a few feet high. What wattage bulb should I use that will provide sufficient heat? I also made three windows. So the holes at the top are the only source of air. Do I need to drill more holes?

donnaranee33

Right now I'm using two 75watt flood bulbs, one 150watt flukers basking bulb, and of course a 10.0 uvb bulb. My enclosure is 8x4x2 and so far my temps have been right on. I use 100% peat moss mixed with cypress mulch and the humidity has also been fine.

Deac77

5 Year Member
To much ventilation is going to dry out your tegus bad. I'd drop the eucalyptus mulch and get sand/soil. You need at least 8-12 inches if substrate for the animal. Best way to heat a tegu is cluster lighting with 2 low wattage halogen bulbs. I use PAR 38 70-90 watt bulbs.

Also you really need to consider a larger enclosure, you say you knew the sizes but couldn't accommodate them? The animal isn't going to understand that and with as active as tegus are it's best to give them the room to roam.

Aim for 120-140 basking surface temps not ambient.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu