• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Any Water Dragon owners?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Chinese water dragon owners? Just curious if any of the members own one or two or three or... and it would be cool if you could share some pics of the dragon and your set up.

HPIZZLE

i would also love to see some water dragon pics.

i used to have an aussie water dragon and he was an incredible reptile.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
We had one at the museum where I work for the better part of a year. She died several weeks ago of old age. Gandy was over 11 and for the first 10 years of her life lived as the exhibit director's personal pet. They're gorgeous lizards and while not aggressive, they are very high-strung and jumpy. Gandy was always leashed when I took her out. She liked to be handled but got nervous if she felt hemmed in. Water dragons are voracious eating machines and will consume anything they can fit in their mouths. I haven't found a prey animal water dragons won't take: crickets, roaches, waxworms, mealworms, goliath worms, silk worms, nightcrawlers, snails, grasshoppers, snails, silversides, mice. I would recommend them to people have have at least a little experience with lizards and not as a beginner reptile. They're great animals and I'd love to have one in the future. I'll put up some pics of Gandy.

Attachments

• Grayson\'s Snake house 110.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 110.JPG
    939.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 099.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 099.JPG
    855.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 067.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 067.JPG
    761.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 068.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 068.JPG
    746.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 070.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 070.JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 071.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 071.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 072.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 072.JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 073.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 073.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 074.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 074.JPG
    643.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 075.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 075.JPG
    704.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Grayson\'s Snake house 076.JPG
    Grayson\'s Snake house 076.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 4

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
^^, thanks appreciate the pics,was a beauty of a dragon! I don't know why i sold mines before, i'm currently working on a 5'x2'x2' enclosure for one i'm getting in about 2-3weeks! Really excited!

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, but most of the credit goes to my coworker John who raised her for 10 years before she became part of the museum's collection. Five feet is a great height as water dragons are arboreal and spend most of their times climbing, but you may want to bump up your other cage dimensions a smidge. Female water dragons get about 24 inches and males can exceed three feet. They are also super althletic—Gandy could leap more than her total body length from a standing start—so they need room to run around. Water dragons have the habit of bashing into the sides of tanks and banging their snouts all to hell if they don't have sufficient room.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Yea 5ft is the height,2wide and 2long,this will be a start off cage, i'm getting a hatchling 7-10inch. Eventually he will go in a larger cage when time comes.

dicy

5 Year Member
heres sum pics i had posted on this forum there r more pics but cant find them
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7492#axzz1fsrJhBr4

dicy

5 Year Member
only have th green male here since it is so old i didnt want to sale it the others where all saled to good homes

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Do Aussie water dragons have the same personality as the Chinese? I've never seen an Aussie water dragon in real life before and don't know anything about them.

dicy

5 Year Member
from my experiance (cant say whut others have experianced) aussie waterdragons r more standoffish and like to be left alone while my greens always climbed on my arm ore jumped on me when opening the viv but i still regret selling mine since i never sa an aussie for sale again after i sold mine :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long