• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

anyone try mazuri foods

thatoneguy

I read that the Mazuri tortise diet mixed with ground turkey is a good option for Tegus.

I noticed that Mazuri also makes a Crocdillian diet which is high in protein and has a good ratio of nutrients that would work well for tegus.

I ordered a small amount of the Crocdillian feed gonna give it a shot either as a base or mixed with other ground meat.

Im also considering using the tortise feed as well as it has a wider mixture of non meat items, for diversity.

Just curios if anyone else has used these

dpjm

5 Year Member
My opinion on most Mazuri products: crap. The nutritional composition may be ok, but you really have to look at the ingredient list and you can see what I mean.

Tortoise diet: hay, oats, soybean, wheat, and sugar are the major ingredients.

Crocodile diet: fish meal, poultry by-products, wheat, pork, and corn are the major ingredients.

I personally would not feed any animal this garbage. You will do much better using real food items: whole vertebrate prey, insects, fresh fruits and vegetables, and staying away from processed junk.

The only good thing about Mazuri is that pellets are convenient to use, but convenience will only benefit the keeper, never the animal.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, please don't take it personally.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it were once in a blue moon, I'd say OK on the croc pellets, but damn rarely for variety's sake alone.

thatoneguy

I agree they are not going to be as good as feeding whole foods, I'm more interested in adding them to give more variety to my tegus diet, as the pellets have mixed in veggie and fruits which my tegu refuses to eat normally.

While whole foods are great, I don't feed my dogs whole prey items and they are doing pretty good.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If I remember correctly, reptilinks was sold as an alternative source of food for rodent-eating snakes. If so then they should be a a quality meal, even if tiny.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some will, some won't. What they're picky about can be hard to tell. You could sweeten the meal with egg yolk.

I appreciate the tip, Walt. It is pretty fun introducing new foods to see what they like as of now. I did hear that adults are much less picky.

I'm glad to hear that. I started to get some sort of tegu mix from one of the pet stores that I mix with ground beef and they don't mind that. Otherwise, they won't eat berries or veggies alone. I think most people here have Argentines but Colombians seem to be similar in this regard.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I appreciate the tip, Walt. It is pretty fun introducing new foods to see what they like as of now. I did hear that adults are much less picky.
I see that with my own three. All like ripe strawberries, two like wet dogfood, one won't touch it. Two especially like liver, all like gizzards, hearts, and whole mice. Their weird, but they're my weird.

thatoneguy

So my tegu does not seem interested in the Crocdillian diet by itself, but I've been mixing it with ground turkey and he eats it right up.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So my tegu does not seem interested in the Crocdillian diet by itself, but I've been mixing it with ground turkey and he eats it right up.
I think worth mixing it in occasionally. I will look for it as well.

Fatal_S

I have the insectivore diet for my blue tongue skinks, and I mix it into my tegu's food every once in a while; maybe once a month. It's a nice addition to otherwise plain ground turkey when I'm in a rush.

franz_seE

My opinion on most Mazuri products: crap. The nutritional composition may be ok, but you really have to look at the ingredient list and you can see what I mean.

Tortoise diet: hay, oats, soybean, wheat, and sugar are the major ingredients.

Crocodile diet: fish meal, poultry by-products, wheat, pork, and corn are the major ingredients.

I personally would not feed any animal this garbage. You will do much better using real food items: whole vertebrate prey, insects, fresh fruits and vegetables, and staying away from processed junk.

The only good thing about Mazuri is that pellets are convenient to use, but convenience will only benefit the keeper, never the animal.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, please don't take it personally.

Actually, the tortoise diet pf mazuri is highly regarded in the tortoise community. Tortoises seem to love it, and you really do see a noticeable change in their growth rate.

But that's for tortoises of course. it may not sound like it would work in theory, but it does in :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu