• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Argentine Vs Columbian Tegu

Tegu Boss

Hello I can't decide to get an argentine BW or a Columbian. Argentines are reportedly much more friendly, but also a lot more
Expensive. So I guess my question is is it with the extra 100$ for the argentine? Thanks. Ps in the list below I didn't get the tegu yet but I am getting one once I decide. Also if I get an argentine should I get a red or BW? Is there a difference other than color? Thanks[/quote][/code][/php]

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=12332#ixzz25FALYapE

I also forgot how much are blue tegus? Thanks.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hopefully you'll have your tegu a long time. If you want an argentine don't be afraid to spend the extra $100. Color is preference, there aren't any care differences between reds and bw. Some people say reds eat more fruit but that's all I've seen. Reds are also more expensive than bw. Price for blues varies due to gender, market inflation, age, size.

Tegu Boss

Thanks I will probably go with the argentine black and white. Typically they are less temperamental than columbians, correct?

Thanks. I will Probably go with the argentine BW. I want my tegu to be very friendly and colombians reputation isnt quite as good as argentines. I have been doing research for a long time and I decided to finally get a tegu.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've never owned a Colombian. Some people on the forum have mellow Colombians but generally, yes, argentine tegus are easier to work with.

Tegu Boss

Yeah. I agree. However I stick by the fact argentines are generally more friendly

And uh what exactly is a kinkajou, it is like a lemur? And what is the care for them?

larissalurid

Tegu Boss said:
Yeah. I agree. However I stick by the fact argentines are generally more friendly

And uh what exactly is a kinkajou, it is like a lemur? And what is the care for them?

Idk, many columbians are nice and argentines can be very timid and aggressive as well. My extreme still won't even let me touch him.

Kinkajous are actually illegal in many states, but a few points of why they aren't like having a cat, ferret, or other easy animal to keep:

-Although they are adorable and innocent looking they are NOT domesticated animals, they can and will hurt people when very scared, being territorial (he would jump at his cage door and squeak in a defensive way like "GO THIS IS MY AREA WHO ARE YOU" to people, although he never would to me since i'm basically like his mom. he's never been aggressive in any way towards me as well as how i raised him quite well) as well as food aggression that he's shown before.

-Why is any of that not just cute when he squeaks to say get away or im scared, etc. and telling you to get away by either trying to bite or scratch? His nails are made to climb in the trees high up in the jungle so they are SHARP. Even when just playing or him jumping off me, climbing up me, etc, i'd get many long scratch marks lol. Also his teeth are like 4 huge fangs adn a ton of other smaller teeth. He can really hurt someone if in the wrong hands where someone doesnt know how to handle a kinkajou (and they are not easy to handle lol believe me they want to jump everywhere, their back feet turn 180 degrees backwards, and their prehensile tail is super strong). 3 zooligists checked him out one time and said he is the only one they have seen in the whole country who isnt completely vicious and doesnt try to attack every single person he sees. Even so, he still isn't a domestic animal and he's shown aggression before in sitaions where he was scared or being protective.

-His cage is about 7 feet tall, 4.5 feet wide x 4.5 feet deep with a tree and perches in it as well as a sleeping box we made. That can't fit in everyones house lol, plus he needs hours of time out to exercise and play. He bolts all over the house and gets into a lot of trouble, knocking things over, getting into things, opening things, climbing on everything and up the walls, etc. As well as needing outdoor exercise. You can't let them leave your sight for even 5 seconds without them breaking or getting into something or bolting out of the room.

-They are nocturnal, sleep all day and awake all night, so even though you might stay up really late, you eventually have to go to bed and have him in the cage, he jumps around all night making LOUD banging noises on the metal with his feet from jumping everywhere. He needs to be fed around 9pm. 2am. 6am and he squeaks all night which their calls are so loud that they can be heard a mile away (literally) so its QUITE loud. Back when i still lived with my parents I had to move out of my room once we got him and sleep somewhere else for years.

This isn't everything about him, but I have been around exotic animals my whole life, learned how to handle them and everything else I could about them. So just if you see a cute animal (anyone) don't always assume all animals make good pets. Many people all the time (especially when it comes to reptiles where lots of exotic things are available to people now) will see something cute and get it with no idea of the care, how aggressive they can be, etc.

This I just copy and pasted from when many people were saying they wanted to get one and I have to explain why he isn't like having even a tegu or iguana or something.

They are part of the procyonidae family and not related to lemurs, although they look somewhat similar.

Attachments

• 538397_10150701316241843_1198051937_n.jpg
    538397_10150701316241843_1198051937_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 254

Tegu Boss

Yeah lots of animals sold these days don't make apropriate pets for most people who see it and want it and don't even know what it is or how to care for it. It's a shame.

cole_schank

I have a colombian and he is awesome! people give them bad reps when they have never even held one, they just read that somewhere online and decide its true. Colombians are smaller than the other breeds, but have much bigger attitudes to make up for it. if you want to put in a little extra work and attention then go with a colombian, because the end result is definitely worth it. I hope this helps with your decision. I want to stop this bad reputation that these awesome tegus have.

Here is proof that Colombian Tegus are horrible monsters, I regret owning Baragon. He scares me greatly.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidB466nhmw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you understand the main reason for the price difference?

@Quartzyellowjacket - why don't you have any substrate in the enclosure? How old is your Colombian?

james.w said:

@Quartzyellowjacket - why don't you have any substrate in the enclosure? How old is your Colombian?

Because I recently clean out his cage, he's under a year old.

cole_schank

Quartzyellowjacket said:
Here is proof that Colombian Tegus are horrible monsters, I regret owning Baragon. He scares me greatly.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidB466nhmw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hahaha what a vicious little child eating tegu! Great video man and a gorgeous tegu!

Murkve

james.w said:

Ooh! Ooh! I do! Colombians are most often Wild Caught. This results in a cheaper price, but usually often means a more skittish lizard that may not adjust well to captivity, not to mention a possible parasite load.

Argentines are most often Captive Bred and Born, resulting in a more well adjusted lizard, and usually very healthy.

larissalurid

You should watch this video, I think it shows very well about how columbian tegus are lol. (watch the whole thing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidB466nhmw&feature=g-all-c

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980