• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Babies

John McLaughlin

5 Year Member
25 big healthy plump babies hatched June 9th.
Eating crickets, mackerel, fresh water prawns, pinkys, black berries, black grapes, blue berries.
Fed and socialized every day.
The perfect start for your urban dinosaur.
shipping next day 50.00

Attachments

• baby.JPG
    baby.JPG
    847.8 KB · Views: 103
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 95

John McLaughlin

5 Year Member
The difference is simple
I can only speak for myself when talking about a small tegu breeding operation. I have 1 breeding pair and this year out of 27 eggs I have 25 healthy babies. The male and female are pets and bred indoors. Their diet consists of small F.T. mice, F.T. chicks, smelt, Quail eggs, fresh water prawns, F.T. large crickets from Asia, black seedless grapes, blackberries and blueberries. The eggs incubated for 66 days in a climate controlled incubator. They hatched indoors and where placed into a 125 gal. set-up with U.V. light, basking spot, a log, 2 water bowls, a small single room sized cool mist humidifier and puppy pads for substrate. Low side 78 degrees warm side 85 with a basking spot of 110. Humidity 80+. They started on adult sized crickets and I currently go through a 1000 in five days. They also are now eating pinky’s, mackerel, smelt, fresh water prawns, black grapes, blackberries and blueberries. All food items are placed in whole and they tear them up. My hands and arms are in the cage daily, cleaning, feeding or just hanging there allowing them to check me out and when they feel like it they start climbing onto my hand and up my arm. When they do I raise them out and hang out for a while. They rest in the palm of my hand, on my arm or climb up and hang out on my shoulders. I am very much a part of their world. Trust was established shortly after hatching.
The difference is this, for those of us who happen to live north of Florida our tropical environments have to be created artificially. That’s all my babies know. I am not looking for mass sales, just 25 people who want what I believe is the best possible start to having a great pet. You have already made the right decision in going with captive breeding. Now realize that covers a broad spectrum on how the animals are cared for. You can open the box to a Tegu baby that hasn’t been inside, hasn’t had the best diet and has little or no human interaction. Still most likely a healthy animal, and with time and proper technique, trust will be established. Or you can open the box to a lizard that has only been inside, has had the best possible diet and has had a lot of human interaction. Trust doesn’t have to be earned, only continued.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu