• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

babies....

jcrunk

ive got 2 theyre almost identicle at 11in... i got them about month ago and theyve grown fast but, im having a realy hard time getting them to eat anything besides crickets and baby crayfish, i got them to eat some pinkies today. but they refuse to eat anywere but in their cage or anything not moving... i need help :!:
( i know i asked a similar q in a different thread but i was confused sorry admin :p)

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
if you can get em out ok, put them in a separate bin for feeding them. you might need to place them somewhere that's quiet so they don't get spooked and not want to eat. it will be frustrating, but keep at it. i know some people have cut mice open (gross), so the gu can smell/taste it. you could try feeding some tilapia, soft boiled egg or ground turkey... I don't have a columbian, i know they are a little more work than argentines, but i hope this helps you out! good luck and keep us posted!!!

DMBizeau

sounds like they are still pretty young, so if they eat crickets just keep feeding them. Just make sure you supplement then with calcium and vitamins or try cb feeder roaches if you have access to them.

As far as feeding them outside their cage I would put them in their tub in a quiet and secluded area and leave them be for awhile, odds are they will eat.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Utahraptor

5 Year Member
sometimes they get nervous with someone watching. Go ahead and use a feeding bin; something they can't see out of would be preferable instead of a clear one. As far as correcting this, as long as you spend time each day with him/her, it will gradually become ok with eating in front of you. This could take weeks/months though.

It's interesting that yours only eats live prey. One I had previously would only eat ground turkey and eggs.

Maybe try some cod liver oil? It's got a really strong smell. I hate to suggest this, but you could also try not offering them anything but what you want them to start eating for a few days. I'm sure they won't starve themselves and when they try the new food(s), they'll probably like it.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
my first tegu was a columbian and he didnt eat anything that moved. i fed him ground turkey and boiled eggs i guess each tegu has there own preference and yeah he escaped alot its a tegu thing i guess cause nero did the samething.

jcrunk

well... they love to be held, but still no progress in the feeding bin... im gonna just starve them... no crix no craw no pinkies till they start eat turkey and nor eggs in the bin... theyll get hungry one day.. but im kinda a push over... i just want them to grow fat and be happy and healthy :dead

jcrunk

p.s. i love u guys.. my first tegus and without this sight id be f'ed in the a... soo please keep bringin the good advice.. im not new to reptiles but tegus are a special breed.. i.e. ive had a few snakes before..
oh yeah happy st.pats :bud

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
Crickets (dusted with calcium/vitamins) are good for them when they're young so I would still try feeding those if they like em.

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
I'm sure they're just scared. I wouldn't try handling them too much until you can get em to eat something. They get stressed easily. Good luck with your babies!

BOOZER

5 Year Member
jcrunk said:
p.s. i love u guys.. my first tegus and without this sight id be f'ed in the a... soo please keep bringin the good advice.. im not new to reptiles but tegus are a special breed.. i.e. ive had a few snakes before..
oh yeah happy st.pats :bud

hahahaha like the way you put it.... def dont starve. they'll come around. try feeding separately,and a variety. uv going and heat at right temp??
hope that helps.

jcrunk

finally some progress.. after a couple days with no crickets only egg and turkey with vitamins they brokedown and ate, and ate alot! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu