• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Behavior

j.sawyer48

My gu hasnt been out and about like she used to be and I can't fix her tail cause shes out for a few minz then goes bam and I don't want to disturb her and piss her off after she got so stressed out from when I took her out and she fliPped wat should I do?

frost

1,000+ Post Club
hmm. i guess give us a rundown of your enclosure. and maybe it is a little stressed you could put a thin blanket over the cage for a while so it doesn't see anyone and that might let it calm down a little. seems like when a tegu hides for long periods its either stressed out or the temps are too high.so it hides trying to escape the heat.

j.sawyer48

My cool side gets to 70 75 the highest my enclosure is 8 by4 by 2 and I do have blankets covering it because I'm keepin the humidity cause her tail is shedding poorly but ever sense I put her in it she's been different and the. After I brought her outside a week ago and she flipped she hasnt been out

Dana C

If regaining your girls trust is part of the issue, I have found that just talking to them in a soothing voice really helps. Also music, noise that is either loud or edgy doesn't help. In other words just talk to her every day. Don't play Twisted Sister or Metallica loud and try to make her surroundings as peaceful as possible. Covering her enclosure is good in the very short term but you still need to have some level of interaction to bring her back.
Just my $.02 worth.

j.sawyer48

Thank u I'm just worried about her tail and I can't tend to it because she always I'm her hide and last I checked her tail was not doing good. Wat would u suggest cause I think I need to go to the vets to get her looked at I dont want her to have parasites or anything thing like that.

j.sawyer48

It has happened befor but this time it seems different maybe it's cause she bigger. But what I did in the past to correct it didn't work. Her tail has lumps on the side and one small apart that looks like a scabb and one huge one in bettween the rings. I tried to help her when I could get her out by taken some dead sheds off but it seems to bother her a lot on some spots. The shed seems hard but soft like a scabb if u know what I mean I've kept her enclosure up to 86 for humidity but that hasnt helped and now she doesn't want to come out. I'll try to get pics if I can get her to come out

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
Ok been there... Toss her in a warm bath tub to soak for about 20 minutes, and talk softly, move slowly and rub her down so she relaxes. You can try to remove some of the shedding while she is in the tub and loosen the scabs and remove them (May take two people to do this) with a wet wash cloth, after she has soaked for a while. Just make sure the water stays warm for her.
After all that, drain the water & use "Preparation H" and rub down the tail good with a thin layer, (thicker in the sore spots). Keep her in a clean tote during this time. Repeat this if needed every day for a few days till shedding & scabs are all gone and spots are looking to heal.

j.sawyer48

Okay I'll get on that but the thing is she's always in her hide now so I don't want to piss her off by removing her from it think I should just do it ? I don't want her to not trust me cause of disturbing her in her hide

tommyboy

^^ I saw the video you posted and if its looking worse now, I would consider the vet option. I've never heard of the treatment that Rose mentioned, but its worth a try. I would definitely get her out of the hide. Her health is more important at this point.

j.sawyer48

Okay I'll take her out and take some pics I gOt a better phone that takes good Pics. I'll try wat rose said and see wat happens I'll let u guys no thank u

j.sawyer48

i did wat u said to do rose and will keep it up for acouple days and i noticed it has now spread up her side :(
heres pics

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

let me no eat u guys think its pretty badd

AP27

That's definately something worse than a bad shed. I've never seen that before. I would definately recommend a trip to the vet.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok I think the problem is your humidity is too low and there's probably a vitamin defenciency involved, a betadine soak and a good antibiotic cream/ointment could help a great deal to keep it drom getting worst, ditch the mulch and get her on newspaper asap, keep it clean, a vet visit may be in order if it persist to spread, I had the same problem start with both my tegu's, its from a bad shed, I caught mines early and it went away

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
I am thinking it is more than just a shed problem now that I see the pic's... It may have started out that and progressed into more. Infection of sorts looks to have started perhaps, and since it is spreading... You may want to at least see what the vet says. I'd take him in tomorrow if possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu