• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

big snakes

AP27

Reptile_fever said:
Yes i agree with james.w,all we need is another bad hit to the community!!Doing things the right way isn't all ways the easiest! Doing so you can all most "brag or show off" what you have instead of hiding it! Remember if caught there will be hefty fines & probably some jail time! Better being save then sorry! What happened to that fella who owned the tiger in a NY city apartment anyways!?

He tried to prevent a fight between his tiger and house cat and got injured in the process. When paramedics came to address the 911 call they found the tiger and it was removed and placed in a nearby zoo from what I remember. He served some jail time and a fine but he still visits his tiger at the zoo.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
frost said:
on the topic of burmese pythons, my fiance told me about a story of a couple that had a huge burmese python that slept with them everynight. the snake coiled around the edge of the bed and slept with them. one day the snake had something wrong with it and the vet told them that the snake wasent sleeping with them but was trying to eat them and they killed it.

i dont know how much of this is true but i would love to have a little scaly buddy sleep with me every night. =]

on the city ordaninces i contacted my political science professor and he told me to contact my city reps and one or two other people that would be able to tell me all i need to know.hopefully i can get ahold of them.

I know of a similar story, but with an extra detail that makes a tad more sense then your tale. The story I heard involved a young woman who slept in bed every night with her snake and then all of a sudden, it went off its feed. She kept offering rats, but the serpent refused. After some time passed, the concerned pet parent went to the vet to see what was wrong. The snake was perfectly healthy, but was apparently starving itself in preparation for a BIG meal, i.e. Mommy Dearest. She promptly changed her sleeping habits and everyone lived happily evert after. In your story you said the snake suddenly had a problem; what was the problem, and what about this problem lead the vet to believe the snake was going yo make a predation attempt on its owners

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Then there was the teen in Colorado who slept with his Burm and it killed him. It's just not smart to sleep with animals that can potentially kill you....I'm sorry. Mine stays in a locked enclosure and would even if I weren't legally required to do so.

But are the snakes getting ready to eat people or just finding warmth? Burms go off feed for a number of reasons...cool temps (from not being in proper enclosure), low humidity (what, no proper enclosure?), mites, breeding season....

frost

1,000+ Post Club
well the story was from my fiances kinda friend, i dont think it was true and i think the problem was that it was opening its mouth. but i wouldent let a snake sleep with me. i wouldent want it getting loose in the house.

Dana C

There are all sorts of stories out there and 99% are fictional. Yes, people have been killed by their Burmese or Retics. ALL of them were not students of the species, and were basically stupid. Every couple of years you hear of someone being killed by a large constrictor as well as someone who keeps venomous species. All of them were either careless or somehow thought that they were special and loved by their snakes...WRONG.
I had a very large female Red Tail, 9' - 10'. She never hissed nor bit me but I always knew that if surprised that I could be in serious trouble. I also knew that she could eat my dogs, cats, tegu etc and acted accordingly. I never handled her while I was alone. Like I said, she was a sweetie but any 10' constrictor demands the utmost respect and attention when handling it. I gave it to her believe me!
I should add that I have bitten by a very large Dumeril's Boa and trust me boys and girls, it ain't fun.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
yeah alot of stories i hear about people being bit was either after handling something they eat or trying to piss it off and they get bit. most people that get hurt by their animals are doing something stupid or its just an accident.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't been bitten by my Burm, but I have 7ft boa that is very unpredictable and has tagged me a couple of times. Most times when I get bit, it falls under the Stupid Feeding Error category...smaller species, in a hurry, get overly confident, etc.

I took my time before adopting our Burm and did some research. He's 12-13ft and we never handle him alone, always two adults. He eats F/T rabbits and we choose to feed him in his enclosure. I use a snake hook to rouse him before handling, I don't reach into the cage, and then I don't use a snake hook when feeding. I try to make feeding a very uneventful affair in which I am not the focus of attention. They just command a certain bit of respect and routine, like Dana said.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
frost said:
well the story was from my fiances kinda friend, i dont think it was true and i think the problem was that it was opening its mouth. but i wouldent let a snake sleep with me. i wouldent want it getting loose in the house.

Sounds like the snake may have had a respiratory problem. Poor thing. I concur with everyone's assessment that snakes make bad bedmates.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
well i ended up getting a normal male burmese from a trade. i will be posting pics soon.=]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029