• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeding own crickets?

casey15

I don't have my lizard yet, but I've been looking at how much crickets cost( I can afford it) but I've heard from people it's easier, cheaper and healthier in the long run to breed your own? How do you breed crickets? I already know what diet I'd feed them, I'd like some housing ideas though! I'm asking on here, before I do my own research. Thanks!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't, breed roaches instead. Dubias, lobster, and hissers are much better food sources and easier to breed.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Say NO to crckets!
Crickets are smelly, noisy (to some people) can get lost in home or enclosure, can bite and even maim or kill your reptile, and most importantly, almost totally nutritionally devoid. Aside from no nutrition, their calcium to phsphorus ratio is fairly bad. All in all, they are very bad feeder.
Roaches are the exact opposite, no smell, no noise, some are quite slow moving and dont bite. Some are high in protien and calcium with very desirable nutrient ratios.
I also recommend Dubbias, Lobsters, Hissers and Deathheads.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As mentioned above, crickets literally STINK, roaches are definitely the way to go!

casey15

See this is why I love this forum, I get advice from OWNERS! :)

I thought of breeding the roaches, but was worried of them getting out and getting lose in our house... If crickets got loose, that would be bad, if roaches got loose... My mom would kill me!

How would I breed them? I read that it takes a few months for them to breed/how would I know which were males/females?

Dana C

James and others are correct. Dubia's are the way to go. They are fairly slow moving, can't climb plastic container walls. They eat and get moisture from orange slices, flaked fish food, sweet cereal and don't need substrate. Card board egg cartons are perfect. Keep them very warm and they will thrive and multiply. If you have a couple of breeding pairs it doesn't take months. They give birth to live young and will do it soon within a few weeks of getting them. The big plus is that they don't stink.

casey15

Yikes, I looked more into crickets after what you all said. Those things are dangerous. I'm going to go with the dubia's, they seem easy to breed, I'm going to breed them, buying them all the time would be alot of money

got10

Roaches roaches roaches. I did the cricket thing and it was a nightmare./Super worms , took too damn long to get them full size . never again . Twenty three dollar investment in roaches made four years ago and i haven't bought another cricket since nor have i had to buy any more feeders either, it all comes from my own stock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan