• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

bump on head and slight mbd?

nicklotz

just found/ bought this tegu from craigs list today, its got quite the large sized bump on his head, i really have never seen it before, i dont know what to do whether it will go away over time or its going to be there forever if i should take him to the vet, any advice will work, and it seems like its back legs are slow? i dont know how to describe it he walks really slow and strange compared to my other tegu. i only paid 100 bucks i belive thats a deal? seems like a nice little guy just need some work on the attiude, any information to help his possibilty of mbd, i have a 10.0 florescent in his tank about 10 inches from his area it should be good. just want to make sure i can make him healthy.
[attachment=2527][attachment=2528][attachment=2529]

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 23
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 25
  • download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 20

TheTeguGurl

I would take him to the vet and have them run some test! cuz if it is MBD that is something you want to start treating right away! I took a little guy in with a bad case of MBD that left him deformed, my vet said it would have been better to have put him down. i couldn't do that.. so it took mos of force feeding him giving him calcium shot and wks and days of wondering if this little guy was going to make it.. He did but his limbs and back isn't the same

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've never seen a bump like that on a tegu but I haven't been around them very long. Do you know if the previous owner had uvb for him?

This video comes to mind.. Is that how the back legs are or is when he moves that they're different?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rxhuuIcnTA&feature=channel_video_title

nicklotz

ive never seen a bump, and its not that bad ive seen that before too. i just emailed the previous owner, asked about the uvb. i mean hes walking around alright ill have to take a better look at him tomorow now hes looking a little better he might of been a little scared. ive been using florescents and ive had good results does anyone recomend i go to a sunglow or something diffrent, or both? i dont want to over dose them on uvb and my other two tegus are doing really good with the 10.0 bulbs.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would recommend getting a power sun because I believe they give off more UVB than the tubes.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use both the tube style and the mvb for my tegus. It seems to be working great, the tubes are on the cooler side of the enclosure.

herpgirl2510

I don't have any added advice but I hope evrything goes OK.It can be very difficult when you just get an animaland find out it may have something wrong. Good Luck keep us posted.

nicklotz

kinda frisky today but he ate and had a bath and free roamed, running around like a pro now. just worried about his bump.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont