• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can pine/cedar/spruce etc. be used to build the enclosure?

littlelizard

5 Year Member
If it is sealed with varnish or something? I'm going to talk to a guy for a custom build tomorrow and he said hardwood would be a lot more $$$. What would be a good non-toxic thing to treat/waterproof the wood with?

Thanks!

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I used Spruce for all my cage builds and I've had reptiles use unsealed Spruce as a basking spot with no problems. My tegu regularly walks on unsealed Spruce wood because I never sealed the outside of her cage. Like I said, no problems from me and I've never heard anything bad about Spruce.

Spencer

Tux

5 Year Member
pinus and picea are in the Pinaceae family but they are different subfamilies, I have never heard picea was an issue, it does have similar oils but if dried/aged it may not be near as bad as pine and/or the oils maybe somewhat different, I don't personally know as I have limited experience with it. As SPF have no resistance to water naturally I would seal any of them no matter what, water based polyurethane is what I use as sealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029