• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cardboard?

Which one?

• Dwarf goannas (indos and aussies)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African monitors

• Asian monitors

• Total voters

Adrian Q

Can any tegus or even any herp live in a large cardboard box? My friend was doing this with his new tegu and says it's temporary. I'm not worried about the tegu escaping as he has pretty strong cardboard but is it poisonous/ harmful?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can any tegus or even any herp live in a large cardboard box? My friend was doing this with his new tegu and says it's temporary. I'm not worried about the tegu escaping as he has pretty strong cardboard but is it poisonous/ harmful?
A variety of reasons why not to.

a fire hazard with lights, will absorb liquid feces and spilled water. Could off-gas depending on what was stored in it previously. No offence to your friend, but lizard in a cardboard box speaks to unpreparedness that may continue in other ways to the lizard's detriment.

dpjm

5 Year Member
A variety of chemicals can be used in the manufacturing of cardboard. Certainly these could be harmful but the chances of the tegu consuming the cardboard is low, so the poisonous/harmful aspect is not a huge concern. I sure hope this is very temporary because there are many huge concerns with a cardboard enclosure. I'm assuming it was a rescue situation, which would excuse your friend's unpreparedness.

Last edited:

Adrian Q

A variety of chemicals can be used in the manufacturing of cardboard. Certainly these could be harmful but the changes of the tegu consuming the cardboard is low, so the poisonous/harmful aspect is not a huge concern. I sure hope this is very temporary because there are many huge concerns with a cardboard enclosure. I'm assuming it was a rescue situation, which would excuse your friend's unpreparedness.

Yes actually he said pets mart had one mixed with the iguanas (For the same price) So I wouldn't really call it a rescue but I'm sure many would have done the same thing if they were more prepared

dpjm

5 Year Member
Removing an animal from a Petsmart store IS rescuing it, as it would probably die there. Unfortunately, it only rescues that individual animal but doesn't stop the problem.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Removing an animal from a Petsmart store IS rescuing it, as it would probably die there. Unfortunately, it only rescues that individual animal but doesn't stop the problem.
An age-old pet dilemma. The rescue saves the animal but rewards bad business behavior. An individual choice. I make no judgment. A tough situation.

beantickler

I'm thinking fire hazard for sure... On top of that most cardboard is perforated and a tegus nails can dig right in... I know my tegu will climb right up my leg and up onto my head while im standing in a matter of seconds. Plus I could see a gu digging right through a corner to try and burrow. So my second concern is definitely escape... As Walter said the cardboard will soak up the animals waste so unless he has an unlimited amount of really large boxes... lol.

dpjm

5 Year Member
An age-old pet dilemma. The rescue saves the animal but rewards bad business behavior. An individual choice. I make no judgment. A tough situation.

This is really the question of whether you should sacrifice the lives of a few right now to save the lives of many in the future. In this case the "few" are the poor animals suffering right now at Petsmart and many other pet stores, and the "many" are the animals the stores will purchase in the future because the "few" were purchased. If we don't purchase the "few" then they will suffer but then the store might not purchase the "many" and their suffering can be averted. But should we sacrifice those "few"? That is indeed a tough question and is not limited to pets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu