• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Chronic Diahrrhea

Weedazon

5 Year Member
My tegu, as I recall, has never had a solid stool. They're supposed to be solid, right? I am unsure of Zeke's age, but I will post a picture to show you guys his size. This has gone on the entire time I've had him, which has been many months. I didn't think much of it because he seemed fine otherwise and was gaining weight rapidly. I bought him from a reptile show from a pet store vendor...I'm unsure of who the breeder was, because they obtained the tegu from someone else. Zeke eats a diet mainly of ground turkey and sometimes egg & hamburger. His food is supplemented with Repashy Calcium Plus every day. Every Tuesday, he gets a Cod Liver Oil supplement to help with his shedding. The diarrhea occurred before and after the oil supplement, so I know that's not the cause. The yellow stuff (urates?) is solid, but the brown stuff is just liquid. The only time it's somewhat solid is when he eats mice. Does he need more fiber in his diet? Should I start feeding him more rodents? I would think a whole prey diet would be better for him, but I've heard of problems with impaction from the fur. So far, he does not eat any fruit only when I hide them in turkey. Does it sound like he might have a parasite or an intestinal problem? I don't have much money for a vet trip right now, but if you guys think it's serious, I can try to scrounge up something to get him in. He's health seems fine otherwise; a little kink or two at the end of his tail, but I'm not sure why, as he gets the proper lighting and calcium. Also, what do you guys think; male, female, or too early to tell? I thought I felt some small hard bumps on either side of his vent, but I could be imagining things.

Zeke doesn't bite, I'm just using gloves because his nails are sharp. I trimmed them afterward, so hopefully that will help.
33684_452446878790_501733790_5706769_3751755_n.jpg

39608_452446888790_501733790_5706770_6203619_n.jpg

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
from the diet sounds like the only reason for the lose stool is no fiber. Egg, hamburger and ground turkey have almost no fiber, so it comes out almost liquid. Rodents do help to add fiber to a diet. Too many rodents can cause a problem in smaller tegus becuase of the hair, but one or two a week will not hurt an adult tegu at all. My tegu gets two med rats a week and it really helps to firm up his poop. I also give him whole chicks (already dead, have a rancher near by who has them all frozen and ready) along with ground turkey and fish, does not like fruits so much. Also ditch the hamberger, ground beef has alot of fat in it which can also cause diareha.

tora

You're pretty, but can we have a better pic of the lizard? lol.
He kinda looks male, can't really see too well. You should be able to tell by now. Maybe get a good clear pic of his vent?

And I agree about the food causing it. My tegu's stools are a little runny from time to time if I haven't fed him enough mice. Try and pick up some hearts/livers too. I feed mine extra lean ground beef like once or twice a month for some variety. It's the 97/3 leanness. Just don't have it be a staple, because even super lean, it's still pretty fatty.

Weedazon

5 Year Member
Alright thanks guys, I'll try feeding him more rodents and see what happens. I'll probably be feeding him more mice than rats; they're cheaper, and I actually have two pet rats who I adore...so I'm a bit biased! There is a reptile show next month, I'll buy everything in bulk then. I need to get some more for my snake anyway. I'm not sure if there are any hearts at the grocery stores around here, though I have seen some pretty weird stuff lately (pig feet, cow tongues and stomachs...yuck!!!)

And sorry about the pics, they were just for fun haha. I will try to get some good ones this weekend (I'm away at college right now).

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My Tegu commonly has "loose stool" and I am thoroughly convinced he has no internal parasites...

I also find ground turkey to produce loose stool and whole prety to produce solid stool...

I breed a few types of fish for fun and my Tegu eats many of the offspring. I find when he eats fish his stool is very runny as well as very stinky...

I think your experience sounds completely normal...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man tegu fish stool is the worse, if only my tegu didnt like his talpia fillets so much. Oh well got to do what you got to do, all for the love of the animals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu