• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cleaning those nasty little (or big) squirts

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok, this question is for those here who own tegus (namely females, but hey, any ideas would be great.)

Do you guys know how females on occasion let out a little squirt of liquid (mainly uric acid?) My female always picks the worst spot to do that, and my whole room is starting to stink like tegu crap.

In addition, she has pooped on the carpet 2-3 times.

Does anybody have any "miracle techniques" that they use to get that stain (but more imporantly, the smell) out of fabric?

Luckily, today, she pooped on tile, so it wasn't a problem to clean up.
It was a huge one, though.

Yesterday, she had a meal of hard boiled egg, mango, a few raspberries, and some raw egg yoke drizzled on the top to entice her (it always works.) Oh, and she had a small mouse. I can't believe how fast their digestive system works!!!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, and fyi, after her giant poop, I washed her off a little, and she has been sitting smugly up on her high throne on my neck for the last half hour.

edit: Now, she is sitting on the edge of my keyboard watching me type.

2nd edit:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj,,,,,kkkkkkkp[kkm[pkpm[''''''''']

that was her typing.....do you think she is trying to tell me something?

she had typed more, but she went and sat on the backspace key :app

Every time I am on my laptop typing, she crawls up and sits right i the middle of the keyboard. I dunno why....maybe it's warm...maybe she is a spoiled little tegu who can never get enough attention. She has always got to be in the spotlight.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Haha my animals will do that too. They are adorable. I think it might be because its warm. But my animals do seem to like to type lol.

Luckily, my tegu only has pooed and "squirted" on my vinyl couch, and that stuff comes out of vinyl fairly easily. I really don't know what to do about carpet.

I know on <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com">www.drsfostersmith.com</a><!-- w --> they have some really good dog and cat solutions for carpets, maybe try one of those?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks, I'll look into that. I can always steam clean my carpet or something, but I'm mainly concerned about the spots on my mattress....and no, I did not make those spots, she did.

My mattress is obviously a little more sensitive than my carpet....plus, I would think it needs to be a surface treatment, as anything you do to a mattress soaks in, whereas a carpet isn't as thick.

Again, any ideas would be appreciated.

angelrose

5 Year Member
you are too funny :mrgreen: . but, I am glad you brought it up. since it's like a tegu crossing here and sometimes I don't make it into the bathroom with them (without being shredded) .... I am having the same problem in a couple areas. the smell goes away after a while. depending on what they ate sometimes the stain is a real stinker. I hit it right away with rug cleaner before it has a chance to penetrate and so far so good.

and mine don't type at all they just have to see what's underneath. guessing the heat.

Nero

5 Year Member
My tegu always poops on my window seal. He likes hanging out on my head, which he pooped on and it was the motherload of poops. I got the poop timing down now so that wont happen again.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol, apparently I'm not the only one with this issue XD

time to go get her out of her bath :)

ZEKE

5 Year Member
whenever our dog or cats throw up or pee on the carpet we use this stuff called Zap't. it cleans most stains and gets rid of the smell. here is a site you can find it on. its on page 9 under "carpet cleaners" <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.citygroupinc.com/Home_files/CityProductReferenceGuide.pdf">http://www.citygroupinc.com/Home_files/ ... eGuide.pdf</a><!-- m -->

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks! I've actually heard of that stuff. I never heard anyone say whether it really worked or not...thanks! Hell, if nothing else, I can use one of those insane tide bleach pens.....I don't know how the heck they do it, but the almost always work perfectly! Also, I've never had one eat through my clothing.

Nero

5 Year Member
I think my tegu is pretty clever he knows that his poop smells horrific. So he jumps at one end of the cage always the same spot and will not give up until I let him out. Then I take him out he goes right to my window and drops the bombs!!. At least he knows that he doesnt wanna deal with the smell in his terrarium. Use to poop on my bed a lot too. I just use oxyclean and freebreeze. It takes the smell out instantly.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We have hardwood floors or tile in the whole house so poops aren't a big problem. They tend to go in the kitchen or dining room where it's easily seen (or smelled!!).

BPaulette

5 Year Member
Hope this helps.

There are several different different products that work well..... "Nature's Miracle" is one that I have used in the past that has worked for me. It has enzymes that break down the chemicals in waste products. Its great for removing stains and odors. The trick is, don't use any other cleaning products before (bleach, soaps, etc.) because it renders the enzymes ineffective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan