• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cleaning under hides

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Just looking for some input/what others do... with a basking shelf that the tegu uses as a hide, how do you clean under there and how often? Niles normally chooses to poop on the cool side of enclosure. This is easy to see and i just spot clean. Now he has made a dirt wall blocking off the shelf with only a 'doorway' to enter and exit. I am wondering if he ever poops under there and how would i know and how would i clean it without disturbing his privacy/security? Should i just randomly do periodic cleanings where i dig everything out from under the shelf and clean it out then let him replace his wall himself? And if so should this be a weekly thing or more or less often? Currently i just spray down the shelf daily with pressure sprayer. Some water goes down the back into the hide and i also spray the front through a small crack and into the doorway. This only really creates nice moisture in there but does not 'clean ' anything I'm sure. What are other people's policies with cleaning shelf hides ...if any. Thanks

Odonata

Our tegu spends a good bit of time burrowed under his basking slab or under his water bowl. I highly doubt he would poop in either place as they are the places he sleeps. They do dry out over time and accumulate shed skin. Probably about once a month while Shadow is out roaming I lift up the slabs and rotate the substrate as well as add water as needed to bring them up to the right level. He doesn't seem to care and is able to re-dig them in a matter of minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980