• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

COLUMBIAN tegu and Savannah monitors

nepoez

5 Year Member
Hi All, I wanna first be clear that this question is about Columbian tegus compared with Savannahs.

I've read many questions about whether a tegu is easier to tame as compared to a savannah. But I couldn't find any threads that compare Columbian tegus with savannah monitors. Most threads all come to a conclusion that savs are much harder to tame down. But since most people believe that columbians are much harder to tame down than argentine tegus. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience to compare this between a columbian tegu and savannah monitor.

So far my columbian tegu which I have had for the 8th day now is very scared of me, and I'm not gonna try to handle or touch him yet. I already had to give him a bad impression as he managed to escape a few times, so I had to grab him which probably traumatized him. So now he's acting like I'm a serial killer, really similar to what most people say of savannahs.. sooo yup any thoughts on the 2 species?

Thanks!

bfb345

(Most) Columbians BAD
(Most) Savs BAD

Just my opinion I prefer argentines one hundred percent but I would say my Columbian was way crazier than my sav ever was

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've seen tame Colombians, but I don't have experience with those. I can however tell you that savannahs aren't an animal you purchase with the intention of taming down. It is not often that you see a tame savannah monitor, and if kept at optimal conditions and care, you will see that they are quite defensive; will tail whip, etc,. They are mainly display animals but it is possible to make them calmer or tolerate you so to speak.

I have however seen some tame savannahs out there that are thriving in great condition - I'd imagine that came through a LOT of work. IMO, tegus in general would be easier to tame as I've seen more tame Colombians than I have savannahs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff